Powered by WebAds

Monday, August 30, 2010

School has Started!

My eldest started last Thursday, and my other two started on Sunday.

I got all their school supplies and have almost finished gathering all their school books.  Most of the school books we either had or are borrowing from friends.  There are still a few that we will have to buy.  I still need to ask a friend to actually go and get those for me, but I am waiting to be certain of what we need, so we only have to go to the bookstore once!

So far, everyone seems to be settling in. Even the madhouse morning rush seems to be under control.

My sweet son asked for me to make his lunches for him again, this year.

It is too much for me to do it all year long.  But I told him I would make his lunches in the morning for the first week of school, then I would make his lunches *with him* in the evenings during the second week of school.  After that, he would have to make his lunches in the evening on his own (though I will help him if he needs/wants it, within reason).  He agreed.  I am cautiously optimistic that we can make this transition smoothly.... (PLEASE, God!!)

Moshe has been driving the kids to school in the mornings, which is very positive for all around.  My son, who mainly rides his bike to and from school, also benefits from this arrangement.  My son loads his bike onto the car; Moshe drives him to the top of our hill, which is long and steep; then our son rides the rest of the way to school.  It cuts out the worst/hardest part of the bike ride, but still allows our son to benefit from the excersize of bike riding, and the freedom after school to ride wherever he wants.

Our youngest began a new school this year and is feeling more comfortable, with each day that passes.  She bravely chose a school that was clearly the best choice for her, but to which NOT ONE of her friends chose to attend.  She is excited to be learning with her previous drama teacher (who really is fantastic) and there is even a chance that she will continue learning with her previous English teacher (of whom we are also big fans).  So far, her mechanechet (main teacher) and her class seems nice, but it is really too early to tell.

Our eldest is getting used to some of the changes in her school.  She loved her mechanechet for 9th and 10th grade, but they get a new mechanechet for 11th and 12th. Her new teacher is actually one of the top women educators in Jerusalem, but I am not sure my daughter appreciates that yet.  I, on the other hand, am thrilled (and jealous!).  She also has a new math teacher, about which we are less excited, but still cautiously optimistic. Her previous math teacher really suited her, and that is no small feat!   Our daughter just need to pass the next two units of her bagrut (matriculation) exams and then she is finished with math classes forever.

The best news is that due to a scheduling conflict between her two majors, theater and art, she might be able to just take the art workshops, which really excite her, and not art history, which interests her, but not as much.

So, our year opens with lots of potential and we pray that we will all make it a good year!


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

7 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds like everyone is off to a great start. I didn't realize some schools started already, I always thought the whole country begins on the first. My two are enjoying the last day of vacation today before the daily grind resumes tomorrow :).

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Bernie said...

School has started here (Canada) as well. Usually it starts after Labor day but it has started early everywhere this year....I love to see the children dressed up in their new school clothes with new backpacks and shining faces head off for their much anticipated adventures for a new school year. I think it is exciting for all concerned.....:-) Hugs

Staying Afloat said...

Congrats on the start! I wish everyone a successful year.

The lunch plan sounds like fabulous chinuch; I hope it works.

mikimi said...

may all new beginnings continue to be successful.

Devorah said...

May all your children have a happy and productive year. And you too!

Mindy said...

Our homeschool starts next week, but we have spent a week getting books, files and supplies ready and organized. It is always an exciting time of year, although all the details can be a little overwhelming. Best wishes for the school year!

Batya said...

I'm happy to have long finished that stage in life as a mother. B"H, I found the right schools for 4/5 of my kids. Not perfect, but pretty good for an amateur.