Powered by WebAds

Sunday, August 19, 2007

No Droopy Eyes Please

Okay, so here is the deal: I don't want people to look at me with sad, "droopy" eyes.


I don't want people to think of me and feel sad.

I don't want people to see me and feel sorry.

I don't want to be the cause of worry and concern.


I know that when you first hear the news, it's a bit of a shock. So it's okay to be sad in the beginning (I was too). But don't stay there!

You can ask me anything.

I'm totally open.

I don't mind talking about the cancer or what's going on.

Chemo certainly affects the day-to-day of my life, so there's no ignoring it.

But I really don't intend to hang out in some dark, depressing emotional pit.


So here's what I want:


When you think of me, be happy.


When you see me, smile.

I've always been an activist, and I don't plan on stopping.

Come visit -- outside our door are pamphlets and CDs you can take home.... maybe you'll join some of my causes yet!

Tell me what's going on with you. I'm interested. I care.


I can still hear about your trials and tribulations. They are not mine, so they don't add to my burden.


I don't think that other problems are "trivial compared to cancer." I don't think that way. And if I can help, that's great!

Recently, I told a friend: I'm going to live until 90!


The friend asked me: why only 90?


She was right: I'm going to live until 120!


And I have a lot to do in the next 80 years:


I want to make the world a better place.

And I want to spend a lot of time feeling happy and laughing.


So, if you have a funny book -- I'd like to read it.
If you have a funny movie -- I'd like to watch it.

Moshe and I are planning to go see the Simpson's movie -- if you'd like to come with us, let us know.

I thought it would be fun to go with a whole crowd, like we used to do in the "old days" (when we were young, single and going to live forever). We can laugh and be a bit rowdy (no talking during the movie!) and go out for Pizza afterwards.

I'll post when we are going, then you can all come too!

Bring popcorn! :-)


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

RivkA,
You sound open to ideas so I wanted to ask if you've heard of a drug called, Avastin? My father took it as past of his chemo with stage 4 colon cancer. This drug basically works by cutting off blood supply to tumors. It is also used with certain forms of lung cancer. This link tells how it works: http://www.avastin.com/avastin/patient/lung/avastin/how/index.m

You are in my thoughts,
Erika

RivkA with a capital A said...

Erika, thanks for the suggestion. (and Refuah Shlayma to your dad!!)

If I wasn't HER2 positive, Avastin would have been one of the drugs we considered.

But, because I'm HER2 positive, I have to take Herceptin. And vinorelbine (Navalbine) has been tested a lot (and proved quite effective) as a companion drug to Herceptin. So there wasn't really any question as to what the treatment should be at this time.

Even more so, we just learned that vinorelbine can be given in different dosages, however when combined with Herceptin, there is a very clear recommended dosage.

It's interesting... (just wish I didn't have to learn it this way...)

:-}

Anonymous said...

Hello old friend.

Dear Karin---sorry, RivkA :-)
Your blog is wonderful--and your smiles shine through the internet. You are in our prayers.

I'll be coming for a visit in February, I hope that we can find a good movie to be rowdy in! [yeah, yeah..."in which to be rowdy!" fugedaboudit! grammer is meant to be broken--just ask Cathy.] Is Rocky Horror playing in Israel?

lots of love and prayers,
stard0c

PS, I still have the lime jello!

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Big big smiles from me. I love that you are so good about posting (unlike me - who needs a real kick in the pants to post anything at all).
Love,
Dev

PS this time it took my blogger identity. Last time I commented from Gidon's computer...

RivkA with a capital A said...

Hello Old Friend,

Did you catch the "or what" in the post.

That was for your benefit....

:-)

I couldn't figure out how to fit in lime jello....

;-)

Eliyahu S. said...

Sounds good about the movie!

My better half won't be able to come (see details in personal email) but I will certainly try to make it.

Please keep me posted - maybe set up a mailing list or Yahoo group?

Sarah said...

I wanna come to the movie! Keep me informed!
Sarah B.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but Na'ama posted something and gave the address of your blog and I felt compelled to read it. I am glad I did. Your optimism and view of life is refreshing and uplifting and inspiring. I really hope you continue with that outlook until 120 years. I have just read a book about Jane Tomlinson who also suffered from cancer and was given 6 months to live and then ran various races, Race for Life etc, until she ran the Marathon and the Great North Run. Another inspiring lady. I don't have cancer and pray I never get it, but it is a pleasure reading your thoughts etc and being inspired generally to live life to the full. I wish you success, happiness and most of all good health.

tafka PP said...

Didn't know you were blogging... Just read the whole thing but decided to leave my comment on this post as it's my favourite. Fantastic stuff. Keep at it!

Noa said...

Just saw that my most favorite woman in black (Jane) somehow is friends with my most favorite woman in green! Guess the woman thing trumps all. Have you gotten the movie thing together yet because we'd be so in! Also, can I get on the waiting list for being a coffee and chemo buddy?