Powered by WebAds

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Making the Effort

We do our best to attend smachot (celebrations). 

Years ago, after attending a friend's funeral, we realized that if we drop everything to attend something so sad, then it is just as important, if not more so, to drop everything in order to attend celebrations.

From that point on, we really made it a priority to attend smachot whenever possible.

That said, over the past few years, we have missed several happy occasions, primarily britot (marking the birth of a son), due to the early hour of the celebration combined with the event being held some distance from our home.

Well, this morning, Moshe's first cousin, RH, celebrated the birth of his first son!  Moshe and I agreed that we would make every effort to attend the brit, despite the distance and the early hour. 

When we arrived, we really felt that the "new" parents appreciated that we made the effort to attend.

Due to heavy traffic, the trip took much longer than we expected and we arrived a bit late. The family made us feel so welcome and appreciated, that we really we felt it was worth the effort!

The simcha itself was very emotional and moving.

Moshe's cousin and his wife already had four wonderful, healthy daughters.  Now, they gave birth to their second set of twins: their fifth daughter and their first son!

The father's father (moshe's uncle) passed away many years ago, when Moshe's cousin was just a little boy, only four years old.  Now, Moshe's cousin could name his new son after his father, and his son's grandfather.  Everyone had tears in their eyes, when Moshe's cousin spoke about passing on his father's legacy to his newborn son.

We all felt the absense of Moshe's aunt, the "new" grandmother, who could not be at the brit because a different granddaughter (the "new" father's niece) is getting married tomorrow in the US!

Thank God for so many simchas!

The brit was such a meaningful experience.  I really appreciate the time we spent with Moshe's cousins; they are all so special.  I really feel blessed to have "inherited" such a warm and caring family.

I am so glad we were able to share in this simcha!


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

7 comments:

Bernie said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. I love how you appreciate family all the time RivkA, when it comes down to it, family is what is most important in this world....:-)Hugs

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

Mazel tov!!! My father, a"h, went out of his way to "crash" every wedding he could. He once found out his great-uncle in Bnei Brak was marrying off a great-grandchild in NYC so off he went to the wedding. Had a great time, met some (distant) family - amazing. Maybe not so much brisses (britot) - the last one he went to was my son's and we made him sandek... so he had a front-row seat!
May your cousins have much nachas from their new little boy and all his siblings.

rutimizrachi said...

I have found that smachot are more wonderful with a RivkA in the room. :-)

michele said...

What a special simcha. Now I'll try harder to make a brit or simchat bat when I can.

Anonymous said...

Mazal Tov! I've also been making an effort to go to smachot. It's really important.
I'm sure they really appreciated that you were with there with them.

mrg & grm said...

Like usual, I'll probably comment on a few posts. First, the pain patch that fell off - oy! I'm glad that it's now mostly under control.

Going to as many s'machot as you can - yes! I totally agree.

The camping sounds terrific. I hope it's a wonderful trip.

Noa said...

I still love telling people how the morning of my wedding you messaged me on MSN to ask what was up, and it dawned on me that somehow I had forgotten to invite you to my wedding. But being the RivkA that you are, you were (I hope) not offended and showed up with all the kids in tow, on your way to protest the geirush. Your hat with its bright orange ribbon was picked up in most of the pictures and video shots. I was so happy you could make it, even at the last minute!!!