Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Aliyah Anniversary

This Wedneday, Rosh Chodesh Elul, I will have lived in Israel for half my life!

I have lived in Jerusalem for longer than I have lived in any other place in the world! (though not necessarily in the same apartment -- the longest I lived in any one residence still remains the house in which I grew up)

Today, Wednesday, August 11th, Rosh Chodesh Elul, a friend is making a party for me!

The only problem is that I forgot to approve the email invitation to my list, so, until a few minutes ago, no one received an invitation to come celebrate with me!

I do not even know who is on that list. I figured I would have a few days to hear back from people and figure out who has heard about the party and if I should call anyone in particular.  There will be no time for any of that!

It would be kind of funny if no one turned up!

I am not worried.

Whoever comes, comes.

I would not mind a small get together this year.

If you can't make it this year, mark your calendar for next year.

Next year, Rosh Hodesh Elul, I will be celebrating living in Israel longer than I have lived anywhere else!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

9 comments:

Joe K. said...

Let's see, I'm 30 and you are two years younger than I am so that means . . . .

mikimi said...

I don't even pay much attention to my date of Aliyah. Is that bad? I know it was 1979 dor the school year. I'd have to check my 1st passport. Wait...I'll go look for it and see what is says...issued August 2 1979.

michele said...

Can you send me the address? michele@netmedia.net.il

Anonymous said...

Sorry we can't join you but we are visiting family in the US right now - Happy Aliyaversary and maybe we can make it next year (we've got a few more before we make our halfway mark)

Seth & Sheri (Avi & SHoshana or whatever:)

Bernie said...

You sound so happy for you, enjoy your party.......:-) Hugs

chanie said...

mazal tov!

Batya said...

Mazal tov, may you enjoy many more!!!

Anonymous said...

Even though I was able to make this amazing party,I realised later that I should have asked to speak: In England it is customary to make toasts at smachot (Usually to the Queen followed by 'God Save the Queen' and then to the President of the State of Israel followed by 'Hatikva' - I kid you not!). I would have suggested a toast to you simply saying 'Lechaim'. This, I am sure, is the bracha of everyone to you.

Lots of love,

Na'amah

RivkA with a capital A said...

Joe -- I am one of those who strongly believes that growing older is a good thing, much "better than the alternative," as my dad used to say!

Also, I am proud of what I have achieved during my 44 years on this earth. I hope the next 44 are even more productive!

Mikimi -- you gave us the date your passport was issues, but not the date it was stamped when you entered Israel...

Wait. Which passport are you talking about?

Don't you have your teudat oleh?

I suggested looking at the stamp in your US passport because I made Aliyah a few years before I officially changed my status.

I count my Aliyah date as the date I moved here, not the date I filled in some papers.....


Michele -- I would have been happy to send you the address, but I did not see your comment until now (almost a week after the party!). Next time, call my mobile!! (or send an email to my main email address; please note that our email is not always reliable)

S & S -- I would not have figured out who A & Sh are....

Bernie -- I did!

Chanie -- thanks!

Batya -- amen!!

Na'ama -- had you proposed a toast, I would have suggested we sing the "l'chaim" song that Danny Frei, z"l, taught everyone around him! Whenever I make a l'chaim, I sing it to myself....