Powered by WebAds

Friday, May 28, 2010

From Each According to Her Abilities, To Each According to Her Needs

We each have our own gifts and our own weaknesses.

We form our friendships based on our commonalities, but I am finding that my deepest friendships are strengthened by our differences.

Friends with different views challenge us intellectually.

Friends with different interests expand our horizons.

And friends with different abilities help us when we cannot do it ourselves.

My friend, Bracha, from Sde Eliyahu called the day before my radiosurgery and offered to come stay with us over Shabbat and help with whatever we needed. 

We were also invited to spend this Shabbat with my in-laws.  I love going to my in-laws, especially for Shabbat.  We were there just last week!  But I really wanted to be home this week, in my own bed.

There are not many guests who give more than they receive.  Bracha is one of those.  The best part is that she thinks that she is getting more than she receives.  Imagine that!

I am still not sure what I am giving her that matches what she is giving me, but that is the beauty of friendship.  Good friends strengthen each other; together we are better people.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

7 comments:

rickismom said...

Often, that is EXACTLY how good friends feel! What a blessing!

Shelly said...

How wonderful - sounds like just what you need! And be assured you are giving to her in many ways, by allowing her to give, by the way you to interact and support your friends, by your amazing example...
Have a great Shabbat!

Staying Afloat said...

You ARE giving her quite a bit. It just may not show up in this world.

Regardless, so glad you have friends who understand your needs.

Liba said...

What a bracha!!

I am sure you will both have a wonderful Shabbat.

I know that I gain a lot from spending time with you and it sounds like Bracha feels the same way.

Bernie said...

What a wonderful friend you have and deserve, my mother always said to have a good friend, one must be a good friend.....:-) Hugs

truely blessed said...

Bracha is an amazing woman! I always enjoyed the time I spent with her when I was at Sde Eliyahu. I'm glad she was there for you.

Only good things!

Unknown said...

Giving and receiving is great, but I prefer Groucho to Karl: "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.", or "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."