Powered by WebAds

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Pesach Pursuits OR God is Laughing....Again!

There are ALWAYS too many COOL "things to do" and NEVER enough TIME!!

We were slow getting our week's plans in order, which means that we mostly had "down time" on Monday. At the end of the day, we met friends at the Botanical Gardens. We briefly saw my SIL, whose beautiful paintings were on exhibit by the duck pond. We did not see much of the park, but what we saw, we enjoyed! We could have stayed longer, like many Israelis who remained LONG after the park officially closed. Instead, we hung out, talking, in the parking lot...

Tuesday, we joined my SIL, from Gush Katif/Hareisha, at Nachshonit (a small, Israeli amusement park). Moshe woke the kids at 7:00 and we left at 9:45 -- less than an hour later than planned; quite impressive for our crew! Despite detour delays, caused by LONG stretches of highways 443 AND 444 being closed, we arrived less than an hour after the park opened. Ironically, once we entered the park, we spent most of our time waiting on lines. Still, the rides were fun and the kids had a great time playing with their cousins. At the end of the day, we sat at the edge of the parking lot and had hung out a bit longer... (Notice a pattern here??)

My parents left in my car and, on the way home, the engine overheated. My dad managed to drive to a gas station in Jerusalem just as the engine started steaming....

We planned to go to Tel Shilo the next morning, and we needed both cars....

During one day of Chol HaMoed, there is "living history" at Tel Shilo -- actors dress in period costumes and tell "their" ancient story. I wanted to go to Shilo last Succot, but the "living history" day was Tuesday and I had chemo!

So I waited for Pesach...

I have off from chemo this Chol HaMoed and thought to go to Shilo on Tuesday. But... this Chol HaMoed, the "living history" is on Wednesday... Oh, no! Remember: big get-together on Wednesday??

Wait! We can do it all!!

We will get up early (again!) and get there when the site opens. A friend, who I davka met at chemo, is in charge of hadracha (tour guiding) at Shilo; she told me that 3 hours is plenty of time to see everything. Since we are slow, I figured we needed at least 4 hours. We would get to park Gilo by 2:30/3:00.

The broken car was just a "glitch." We could still do it!

I prepared everything in advance! I left lists for what needed to be done in the morning! If you did not know me, you might get the mistaken impressions that I was "put together!" I was uncharacteristically organized! I was determined!

I got up super early and brought the car in at 7:30, when the shop opened. If they worked on the car right away, I could get out of there by 8:30 or 9:00 and we could still make it to Shilo...

"Man Plans.... God Laughs!"

You know how it is. You watch the minutes, then the hours, tick by. You do those mental calculations: "if we leave now, we can get there by.... and still have time for...." You continually revise your plans. Until, eventually, you are forced to admit that there is just no time...

I spent Wednesday morning, and half the afternoon, in Talpiot, waiting for the car doctors to complete their open-engine surgery. My poor car needed major reconstruction: a new thermostat, a new water pump, etc.

God bless my mother who got up early with me and kept me company the entire morning!

After noon, Moshe picked us up and brought us home. I ate a quick lunch and my father went back with me to pick up the car.

Seven hours (and 1,700 NIS) later, I got my car back!

Got home. Got the family together. Got out.

We arrived at Park Gilo, just past 4:00. YAY!!!

Lots of friends!! Lots of fun!!

Pesach Vacation: Two perspectives:

Through the Looking Glass:
Monday: Parking Lot Prattle
Tuesday: Parking Lot Picnic
Wednesday: Garage Shop Greetings

Looking Back:
Monday: Botanical Gardens
Tuesday: Amusement Park
Wednesday: Chevra Get-Together

Thursday: I know what I planned... We will see what happens...


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

3 comments:

Batya said...

Hoping to meet you some time.
Tel Shiloh is great, and your chemo buddy is doing a fantastic job.

Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach!

Anonymous said...

So what happened on Thursday: I know what I planned.

Did everything work out?

RivkA with a capital A said...

Muse -- When I come to Shilo for Shabbat, I will let you know (if I remember...)

Anon -- Haven't you heard? We are in "The Age of Post-Zionism"...

Anon -- Everything did work out and I hope to finish the post soon...