Powered by WebAds

Monday, April 28, 2008

Sleep

It is late at night and I cannot sleep.

This never used to happen to me.

I always said that sleep was one of the gifts God gave me.

I sleep so deeply that, if someone calls and wakes me, not only will I not remember our conversation, I will not remember who called, or even that there was a call.

When my kids were babies, and sleeping in the crook of my arm, Moshe would have to shake me awake -- whoever said that mothers naturally wake to their babies' cries?

Lately, I wake in the middle of the night and, rather fitfully, return to sleep.

But when I sleep, I sleep.

Sleep is a wonderful escape... from pain, from cancer, from everything...

Yet, every once in a while, sleep escapes me.

I lie in bed and find it difficult to turn off my brain, even though I am so tired.


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rivka,

Sheri and I went passed Mayan Barukh on one of our Hol ha-Moed tiyyulim. That of course brought up you and your family... We've been thinking about you and davvening for you. This blog let's us somewhat keep up with how you are doing. But we feel bad we haven't been much in contact and would like to get back into a kesher.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date and inspiring,

Seth

Baila said...

Sleep is the bane of my existence. I've learned to live with my middle of the night awakenings. I try to take deep breaths and think "Right now, I'm okay, right now I'm okay...." Sometimes it works, sometimes not. An advil helps, it relaxes me, but I don't like to take that to often....

RivkA with a capital A said...

Seth -- Please don't feel bad on my account. Phones work both ways! I count on my friends being there, even if we don't talk every week (or month... or year...)

Of course, we would love to see you guys the next time you are in our neighborhood!

Baila -- Thank God, sleep doesn't evade me that often. I recommend a nice glass of wine.... That always puts me to sleep! ;-)