Powered by WebAds

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beit Natan Winter Retreat (2010)

Two years ago, in 2008, not long after I was diagnosed with mets, my friend, EA, badgered me into going with her to Beit Natan's winter retreat. 

I was not interested in going.  I worried that spending 3 days with women dealing with cancer would be depressing and would drag me down.  She thought it would be good for me and that I would have a good time.

She was right.

But I did not know that yet...

I told her I would "think about it."

She called me every few days.  I told her I was "considering it."

Had she stopped calling, I would not have gone.  But she did not stop calling, and, eventually, she convinced me to try it.

I am so grateful for her persistance.

I had such a wonderful time (you can read about it here and here).  I could not wait for the retreat the following year (you can read about that here, here, here, and here).

This year's retreat is this Sunday to Tuesday.

My kids are bigger and more independent.  I no longer need to make all sorts of special arrangements to go away.  Besides moving swimming lessons to Wednesday, I did not have much to organize, other than packing my bags.

And, since we just recently had such wonderful family time together on our vacation, I do not feel bad about disappearing for a few days.  Everyone will be fine without me.  They will barely miss me.

I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Four of us, from our support group, are going -- three "old-timers" (M, L and me) and one "new" member, Z, who joined us this past summer.  I am happy to be going with friends.  It is also good for me to know who some of the other women with mets are.

I would have liked to bring my laptop with me, so I could blog at night.  But it is still not working.  Gam zu l'tovah (it's all for the best), this way I will probably sleep more. 

I'll try to post Tuesday, when I get home.  But I have shiur (Torah study class) that night, so no promises.

I guess life is back to "normal," because I suddenly feel very busy!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

2 comments:

michele said...

Enjoy this special time for yourself.

Batya said...

Enjoy, good vibes are good medicine.