Powered by WebAds

Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Math -- More Humor

My husband is the more patient of us.  So, I was grateful when he volunteered to help our youngest daughter study for her math test. 

After a while, he called for my help.  As a kid, he never had the patience to do long division, so he found it difficult to instruct our daughter.

Pleased that I could help, I slowly walked our daughter through the steps of long division.

After she understood how to solve the equations, Moshe asked her how she can check her answers, to verify that they are correct.

Without missing a beat, our 11 year old answered, "with a calculator."



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

10 comments:

Karen said...

Got to love 11 year old logic!

Robin said...

A girl after my own heart :).

Leah Goodman said...

sign of the times :)

Baila said...

When I ask my daughter a math question to do in her head, like how much is 749 + 612, she says, "Alot!!!"

Shevy said...

ROTFL!

Don't you love technology?

They invented calculators and now our kids can't do math.

They invented digital watches and now our kids can't tell time.

They invented velcro and now our kids can't tie shoelaces.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Shevy -- you are not kidding!

I was shocked when I realized my kids could not read an analog clock!!

RivkA with a capital A said...

ps. I think they all can now.

Unknown said...

I don't buy my kids digital watches. In fact, I only get them a watch at all after they've learned to tell time on an analog clock. I did finally buy my son a digital watch, though, when he was entering junior high, after 3-4 years of using analog watches.

Shira Salamone said...

RivkA, I'm with Ilana--I flatly refused to buy our son a digital watch until he was about 12 years old, just to be sure that he'd know how to read an analog clock.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Ilana and Shira -- Great idea! Wish I had thought of that (or you had suggested it) when it was still relevant!

It's too late now -- all my kids have digital watches.