Powered by WebAds

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bar Mitzvah -- Aliyah LaTorah

My son, God bless him, sometimes slurs his words, talkingnonstopwithoutdifferentiatingbetweenwords.

Sometimes he also speaks quietly.

It can be difficult to understand him.

He is aware of this problem and he works hard to speak clearly.

I wondered (read: worried) if he would be able to enunciate clearly when he read Torah.

It was difficult for me to accept that, once again, my heath situation prevented me from teaching my son on my own.

That said, I admit that I felt relieved that someone else would have the challenge (read: responsibility) of getting him to read loudly and clearly.

It took us a while to find the right teacher to teach him how to read Torah, but we did.

Our neighbor, DS, is a bit older (probably around the same age as my parents) -- he is exacting in his teaching (something that is important to me) and strict (my son was intimidated just the right measure -- enough to go to almost all his lessons and to practice seriously with his teacher).

Periodically we heard my son read a bit here and there.

When he practiced, he read pretty well. But I wondered, would he be the kind of kid who, when it came time to read in shul, would be overwhelmed and read quickly and quietly? Or would he be the kind of kid who would rise to the occasion, and read even stronger.

My son was definitely the latter!!

I heard EVERY WORD, loudly and distinctly.

I could not have been prouder!!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big, big Mazal Tov!

Staying Afloat said...

Mazal Tov! May this be a trend. Wow. Mazal Tov. I never thought I could be this excited for someone I've never met.

SuperRaizy said...

Mazal Tov!

adena said...

Mazal Tov!!!!

Henya said...

Mazal Tov, may you be there for many more of his simchos.

Mrs. Who said...

Mazal Tov! I'm thrilled for both you and your son.

arnie draiman said...

as an eye (and ear) witness, i must say he was super. calm, loud, clear - as if he had been reading Torah forever.....it was a pleasure to listen to.

not to mention that he looked sooo good in his new suit. major "chatich" (handsome guy)!

Val said...

So great to hear... and how proud you must have been.

Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I thought of him (and you all) when I listened to the Kri'at Hatorah in shul here - Mazal Tov!! -Jamella

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Mazal tov to all of you. Looking forward to tomorrow night. We're starting our day at 4 am (you read that right) to go to the airport to greet our Oldest Daughter who is returning from Poland. Then I'm off to work and coming to the party straight from work. Can't wait.

Batya said...

MAZAL TOV!!
Good health, refuah shleimah and lots of smachot!

rickismom said...

Mazel Tov! How nice for you that he read so well!

Daveda said...

Mazel Tov! Wishing you and your family many more smachot, lots of good health and happiness!

rakdanit1 said...

Mazal Tov! You must be so proud.

Anonymous said...

Mazel tov to your son. You must be so proud!