Powered by WebAds

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Feel Like and Idiot

I am in a lot of pain, and it is all my fault.

For the last few months, I have only had to take pain killers sporadically.

However, for the last few days, I have had to take pain killers every evening. As long as I take the pain killers before the pain gets too bad, I am fine. Usually, that is not a problem. I really should just take them systematically, every evening, around six.

Tonight we had a simcha, the joint Bar and Bat Mitzvah celebration of our friends' children (a 12 year old sister and a 13 year old brother).

I usually take pain killers before, or at the beginning of, a simcha. Between the standing around, the sitting around, and the dancing, I have learned that if I do not take pain killers, I will suffer from pain.

Well, tonight I forgot to take pain killers as a precaution and, even though I felt the back pain begin, I also kept getting distracted and forgetting to take the pain killers during the event, even as the pain got worse.

By the time we were on our way home, I was in agony.

The pain was completely unnecessary and avoidable.

And that is why I feel like an idiot.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

11 comments:

adena said...

so sorry to hear about your pain. please don't feel like an idiot. it's understandable to not want to take a lot of pain meds.

sending good thoughts your way....

Anonymous said...

This could happen to ANYONE.

Mottel said...

I'm sorry to hear about the pain! May you soon no longer need any medicine at all with a refua shleima! As always,you're in my thoughts.

Batya said...

Sorry, but it's that very strength that keeps you going... just sometimes going too far.

Baila said...

Oy. So sorry for the pain. Don't feel about it--sometimes I forget to go to the bathroom. With every thing going on, of course you forgot. I just wish you didn't have to suffer.

Always sending healing thoughts. Shabbat Shalom.

Unknown said...

Sorry to disappoint -- I am the last person to say "you're right, you were an idiot...."

But I will say that I "feel your (self-inflicted) pain -- quite literally...."

I am allergic to MSG -- gives me migraines. And even though I knew the noodles David bought himself to eat at the Beer Festival did in fact have MSG in them (I asked the vendor who confirmed), I ate some any ways....

At least what you did was a "sin of omission" -- I actually had to take action to put myself in this agony....

[sigh]

FWIW, I think Batya nailed it -- it the strength that keeps you going can sometimes be a nuisance rather than a help.

תרגישי טוב ושבת שלום

Rahel Jaskow said...

RivkA, you're not an idiot! And you're not alone. I have difficulty with heat and dryness, but sometimes I try to ignore that and keep going until my body tells me, with a jolt and a crash, that I've gone too far.

I think the word here is, simply, "human."

Hugs.

David said...

i won't call you an idiot, or any other name, or say you deserve it.

I will say that it was moronic, idiotic, foolish, and shortsighted not to take care of that first.

DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!

Take care of yourself and your family FIRST. Have fun SECOND. The fun will be more so that way.

Love, David

Sarah said...

If you're an idiot, than I am too. I can't even tell you how many times I've done that with my pain meds. Recently, at... you son's Bar Mitzvah. I was in really bad pain and so annoyed with myself for *forgetting to put my Pecocet in my purse*. I drove an hour & a half in a car home that way. I didn't even have one with me! I'm a bigger idiot, actually, now that ya think about it. (hey, I probably could've asked you for one that night... didn't even think of that, either!)

Don't beat yourself up, just don't do it again. I've learned my lesson. (I hope...)

RivkA with a capital A said...

Good to know I'm not alone in my foolish negligence!!

Zahava, Rahel, & Sarah -- LOL!!

Even fools love company!


Hey Dave -- I wasn't sure which David you were, until I started reading your comment! The second line was a give-away! We miss you guys so much!!

C.G. said...

Don't beat yourself up too much (because that's just going to cause you more pain!)

It happens to all of us (I KNOW it's happened to me). When I was recovering from my second cancer surgery last year, for months I'd only have the energy to do one small excursion/exertion per day, and I really had to choose what that thing would be. Some days I would be foolish and try to do more than one thing, and then I'd be in agony for a week or more. Hang in there! God willing, the pain will get less (even though it might still be there)... and yeah, it's ALWAYS a good idea to keep a spare percocet or 2 in your purse- you never know when you might need it- I still take the occasional percocet when regular Advil doesn't do the trick...)