Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Power of Good Marketing

No one in my family eats sweet noodle kugel.

Never mind that sweet noodle kugel is a staple in most Ashkenazi homes.  It just does not appeal to the members of my family.

Last week, someone brought over noodles with cottage cheese.  I thought she had made a modified mac and cheese dish, until she mentioned that she "only put a little bit of sugar in it."

If my kids identified the dish as "noodle kugel," I knew no one would eat it.  So, I labeled it "maccaroni and cheese." 

Everyone in our home eats mac and cheese.

Despite the lable, I did not know if my kids would eat the dish.

They did.

When my son took a second portion, he commented "I'm glad it's not sweet; I don't like sweet pasta."

My marketing plan worked.
The next week, someone else made us maccaroni and cheese.

I took a few bites -- this was the real thing!

The mac and cheese tasted amazing, but I could not eat more than a very small portion.

I considered saving a piece for myself to eat later, then decided I did not need to put any aside.  The mac and cheese filled such a big tray....

Big mistake.

That mac and cheese disappeared so fast!

The next day, when I went to to take some, it was already gone!


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

7 comments:

rickismom said...

Oh, How TRUE! LOL!

Batya said...

Very true.

When my youngest was a baby he was very ill, and neighbors prepeared food for the family. Sometimes it was good, but sometimes....

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

Do what my dh does - label the mac n' cheese "poison!" Ours vanishes instantly as well if the kids know what it is. :-)

When ds1 was in the hospital as a baby, a particularly good friend dropped off cabbage rolls, which I hated! My then-dh polished them off so I wouldn't have to even look at them.

But then this friend called. "How were the cabbage rolls?" "Great!" I said. "Okay, then how about I bring some with me when I come visit you for lunch?"

The next day, she sat across from me in the hospital cafeteria watching me eat every last bite. And since then, I have loved cabbage rolls. Really! I even make them myself fairly often now.

Meals from friends are about so much more than just food. Glad you're getting good ones on a regular basis. :-)

Bernie said...

Mac and Cheese is a favorite in most homes especially with the kids.
I am so happy you have friends who are so kind and caring, it really is a help I'm sure......:-)Hugs

mikimi said...

i can't bring u meals but if we ever met up, i'd be sure to try to get us some b&j ice cream.

karen said...

your post made me crave sweet cheese kugel. and my kids don't like it either. so i made it today and called it 'noodles baked with cottage cheese, butter and sugar.' it worked. you've inspired me to see what i can sneak past them next.

Val said...

LOVE sweet cheese kugel and so does my daughter.. Only have it once a year, but it's SO worth it! Yum! Great marketing, btw!