Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 25, 2008

"You're the Best"

She burst through the door with a HUGE smile on her face.

"You're the best, Ima," she said, enveloping me in a warm hug.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

A few days ago, after I had gone through all the efforts to make sure she could attend the two day seminar, my daughter, at the last minute, wanted to know how bad it would be if she decided not to go. I decided not to force her, but I did explain some of the ramifications of not attending. In particular, I made sure she understood that when someone (like her mother) makes efforts of her behalf, and then she disregards those efforts, that person is less likely to make efforts on her behalf in the future. "That means I have to go," she declared, dejectedly.

Now, the truth is that her mother would probably make those efforts again. But the other people, like the head of the program, might not. And it is important that she value the efforts made by others on her behalf.

So, though I knew it was the right thing for her to go, I worried that she would not get the most out of it, especially if she did not have the right attitude.

Arriving late on the day of departure did not help. (Read about it here)

With a little trepidation, I called later that day, to check up on her. She sounded buoyant and energetic and did not really want to spend time on the phone talking to her mom. That was a good sign.

I did not hear from her again, until today, when she wanted to know if I loved her enough to pick her up....

Unfortunately, both Moshe and I were not feeling well today. So she had to take a bus home... in the rain.

Sill, given the way she bounded through the door, and gave me a non-stop play-by-play, it is pretty clear that she is glad she went. (It helps that she told me as much)

I just hope she remembers this the next time....



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must have felt relieved indeed!