Powered by WebAds

Monday, January 5, 2009

Hanukkah 2008 -- an overview

I just noticed that I never posted this! As Hanukkah was only a week ago, I thought I'd share with you just how crazy our Hanukkah was.

On the first night of Hanukkah (Sunday), nobody was home at the same time! It was disappointing not to start the holiday together. (I posted about that already, see here)

On the first day (Monday), the younger kids had school, Y was home, Moshe was sick (still) and we discovered that MD had strept throat. Again, not a very auspicious way to begin the holiday!

On the second night (Monday), we had a family get together with my in-laws (Moshe's parents, his sister and her family, and his sister's best friend, who is like part of the family) (MD was on anti-biotics for less than 24 hours, so we did our best to make sure that he did not touch anything that anyone else would touch)

On the second day (Tuesday), I had chemo (posted about the here). Moshe was still home sick, and all the kids were home for Hanukkah vacation. The younger two were supposed to have school, but, at the last moment, their school decided to start vacation with all other elementary schools. Had I not had chemo, I would have been happy for an extra day with the kids. But this left my kids home, on their own (a sick father does not count), with nothing constructive to do while I was in chemo. You can just imagine how their spent the day.

On the third night (Tuesday), I was exhausted from chemo. Everyone was home for candle lighting, which was nice. Afterwards, our youngest went to a sleepover party, our eldest ran away to youth group, and I am pretty sure that our son went to youth group too.

On the third day (Wednesday), Y went off on a two day seminar (I posted a bit about that here), and the two younger ones were home. We had a quiet day together.

On the fourth night (Wednesday), my eldest was gone (on the seminar), but the other two were home.

On the fourth day (Thursday), everyone slept in! We had a slow and easy day. Outside, the weather was cold and rainy. Inside, we were cozy and warm.

On the fifth night (Thursday), my younger two were home for candle lighting, but then my youngest went to another sleepover party, and my son went to youth group. My eldest came home late, and then ran off to her youth group.

On the fifth day (Friday), my two girls went off to a gymnastics workshop at Wingate (my youngest went straight from the sleepover). The girls came home in the early afternoon. We prepared for Shabbat and then hurried to Neve Daniel, for my nephew's Bar Mitzvah.

On the sixth night (Friday/Shabbat), we had to light candles that would burn long enough (we light candles before Shabbat/sunset, but they need to burn for at least 20 minutes after sundown), so we lit tea lights. Only Moshe lit this time, but all our kids were with us. Friday night we had dinner with our hosts. Moshe and I know the wife from our childhood; she is from our home town. And Moshe went to elementary school with the husband. We have stayed there before, so the kids know their kids and get along. Dinner was really nice. After dinner, we went to an Oneg Shabbat (a special get together, to celebrate Shabbat), to celebrate my nephew's Bar Mitzvah. That night, my youngest was very sick. She woke up several times in the middle of the night. At one point I used guided imagery to help her relax and go back to sleep. Then she slept until the morning.

On the sixth day (Saturday/Shabbat) we went to shul (synagogue) to hear my nephew read that weeks Torah portion. He read exceptionally well, loudly and clearly and at a good pace. Then we went to my sister in law's for lunch. We were almost 30 people! She has ten kids, my other sister in law has 7 kids, there were two other families, and us. It was very nice. I crashed after lunch. I was in the middle of playing games with some of the kids, and I excused myself and went to lie down on the couch. Within seconds, I was fast asleep.

On the seventh night (Saturday), we attended the celebration of my nephew's Bar Mitzvah. As soon as the speeches were over, we went home, because my youngest was really sick. We arrived home very late, so only Moshe lit candles.

On the seventh day (Sunday), Moshe took my youngest son to meet his scouts group for a two day hike, then Moshe went back to the doctor with my daughter. The doctor took one look in my daughter's throat and said "her infection is so bad, I do not see white dots, there is just one giant spot!" She started antibiotics immediately! She was so sick! Yet, when she came home, she still wanted to go shopping. I said no. (posted about that one too, see here).

On the eighth night (Sunday), my son was still on his hike, but the rest of us lit candles together. It was nice.

On the eight day (Monday), I finally took my girls shopping. They had a good time and I got most of what they needed (though not everything). I got home, exhausted. (and still lived to post the tale here)

The next day, Tuesday, life returned to "normal." The kids went back to school and I went back to chemo.

And now, a week later, it all seems so long ago!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

No comments: