Powered by WebAds

Monday, January 26, 2009

Beit Natan Winter Retreat -- I'm on My Way!

It is just for a few days, but it is hard to leave my family....

This year, no one had to convince me to attend.

I had such a wonderful time last year at Beit Natan's Winter Retreat for cancer survivors. (read about it here and here)

I was so apprehensive beforehand. What would it be like? Would it be depressing? Would I be able to relate to the participants? Would there be other women like me?

My worries were unnecessary.

Most of the women were after cancer (i.e. had finished their treatments). So what? We still shared many common experiences.

I also worried about the religious nature of the program. Though I am religious, and I believe in God (most of the time), I am not one of these super religious types who believes that everything that happens is for the best. I don't believe that God did me any favors by giving me cancer.

There were all sorts of women on the retreat and there were plenty of women who with whom I felt I had a common language.

Ultimately, I really appreciated the religious nature of the program, since faith has a lot to do with how I handle my situation. God figures pretty prominently in my life and I trust that God has His reasons for all this, even if I will never understand them.

The retreat was intense, and I formed strong bonds with several of the women.

I can't wait to see them again!

I will be gone for three days (and two nights) -- I'll write when I get back! (b'li neder)



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

2 comments:

Ilana said...

When you come back, please write more about the religious nature of the program. Sounds interesting. Have a great time!

Baila said...

Have a great time!