Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sick Again

I have a cold… again.

I made the mistake of going to the doctor... again.

I did not have fever this time, so I though I was "safe." I just wanted cough syrup, so I could sleep better. (Besides, I was wheezing, and it sounded spooky)

I might have slept in anyway, but Moshe woke me because he and Y were going to the morning walk-in-clinic and it made sense for me to go with them.

The first thing the doctor on duty did was take my temperature, which was normal. (told you so!)

So, imagine my surprise when the doctor sent me to Maccabi (my health care supplier) for blood work, cultures and an x-ray!

"But I have no fever!" I protested.

The doctor was unmoved.

I grasped at straws, and asked him to try calling my oncologist for confirmation. My oncologist did not answer the phone. The doctor left a message (that helps... NOT).

I asked how irresponsible it would be to just ignore his advice.

As my father always says "If you have to ask, you already know the answer."

Now, it is true that going to Maccabi was certainly faster than going to the emergency room. And, given that I was finished with everything in less than an hour, it might very well have been faster that going to the oncology day ward. BUT, what I really wanted was to go home and go to bed.

Do I really need to do this every time I have a cold?



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

5 comments:

Kairol Rosenthal said...

Hi RivkA,

Nice to hear from you on the Stupid Cancer Blog.

I'm glad to read you have started a support group. Through research on a book I've written on young adult cancer, I've connected with support group leaders throughout the U.S. I have heard collectively that especially with younger cancer patients, it can be really hard to get consistent attendance. People don't feel well and cannot make it, or are in the hospital, or have passed away, or the whole other end of the spectrum, maybe they feel great and think - wow I totally don't want to think about cancer tonight. Keep doing what you are doing! It is so needed and such a value to those who show up.

Hope you kick the cold soon!

Kairol Rosenthal

A Living Nadneyda said...

You know the answer... port, sepsis danger, etc....

Feel much, much better soon.

rickismom said...

Ditto to Nad-neds comment, and amen!

Rahel Jaskow said...

Amen from here, too, and hugs!

RivkA with a capital A said...

Kairol -- I didn't start the group, though I did advocate for a group to start.

Attendance is always an issue, for all sorts of reasons, whether they are being tired from chemo or having a simcha (celebration, such as a wedding or Bar/Bat Mitzvah) on the same night.


ALN -- yeah, I know... knowledge does not always help....


Thanks to all, for your well wishes!