Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Telling the Teachers

This is the third year I have to tell my kids' teachers about our “situation.”

You might think the telling would get easier with time. It doesn’t.

Our kids are in school so much of the day. I have to rely on their teachers to be our eyes and ears. It is likely that the teacher will notice if something is wrong, maybe even before I do.

I need the teachers on my team.

But it is difficult. Difficult introducting the "situation;" difficult explaining the "situation;" difficult making sure they know to be on the lookout; difficult conveying that we want to know about anything unusal right away (and they should not "protect" us by keeping information from us); difficult conveying information so that they understand, without pitying me, or my children.

They need to know.

Hopefully, this is just a precaution. Hopefully, my cancer won't be an "issue" for my kids.

But the teachers need to know.

And I need to tell them.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

5 comments:

Risa Tzohar said...

Teachers can be helpful in these 'situations'. When I was a teacher (a long time ago) the thing that bothered me most was when parents didn't take an interest in what their kids were doing in school.

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

I empathise! I hate starting a new school with my two oldest kids and explaining WHY they have a different last name, where their father is (isn't) and so forth, but the teachers need to know. Teachers need to know all this stuff.

A friend sent her son off to high school in a dorm school and decided that telling the school that the kids is hypoglycemic threw them into such a tizzy that they held back the info that he has to take Ritalin. He did NOT take his Ritalin and he almost failed out! The school had no idea why until they had a meeting AFTER the school year ended and the parents mentioned that they thought the kid had not been taking his Ritalin.

No Ritalin flames please. :)

I'm sure you handle the whole thing with dignity for everyone involved, but you're right. You have to tell them.

Batya said...

You're doing the right thing. Teachers need to know and need to be in touch with the parents and the parents with the teachers. One of the things that "burnt me out" was that the parents ignored their kids and teachers where I was teaching.

Anonymous said...

time for miracles

amed arechi edan

Anonymous said...

As as teacher this is something I like to know about but very few parents actually tell us. Yet I understand it is not easy.
Hope you get the proper response from your children's teachers.