Powered by WebAds

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pain in the Neck

OK, I do not actually have pain in my neck, it's more like stiffness and discomfort, but "pain in the neck" is such a great blog title... (well, at least I amuse myself....)

Anyway.....

Lately, I've noticed that I do not turn my head so much.

I first noticed this new phenomena while driving.

I discovered that I was avoiding changing lanes, because that required me to turn around and look behind me.

A while later, I realized that if my kids were talking to me from behind, I would ignore them. When I started making an effort to pay attention, I had to ask them to move into my line of vision, because it was painful to turn around to face them.

I think the discomfort stems from two sources:
1. my neck
2. my back

Twisting puts stress on both parts of my body.

This came up today, when friends stopped by to visit in the afternoon.

I needed to put up my legs, because my ankles felt swollen and painful (not related to cancer; probably related to arthritis, but I don't know).

Anyway, by raising my feet, I ended up with my back to one of my guests.

Everyone had to move around (think: musical chairs), so that my guests and I could all be in comfortable eye contact.

It's not like it was such a big deal, but all these little things add up.

I wonder if anyone is doing the math...



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

6 comments:

A Living Nadneyda said...

Another new adjustment in your life... I hope your pain will subside soon so you can go back to twisting and turning.

Something about your conversation experience reminded me of how the deaf socialize -- always in a circle. When they go out to eat, they insist on sitting at a round table, for optimal communication.

(What's scary is that some of them have been known to simultaneously drive, sign to the passengers on their side (or the rearview mirror), sometimes while SMSing, too (no hands-free way of doing that). Talk about multi-tasking....)

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem RivkA. I discovered I could no longer hold a telephone receiver between my head and shoulder. Pilates has really helped me gain back flexibility. I also tried a type of therapy called trigger point therapy. It is not alternative medicine, but a type of physical therapy. I can tell you about it if you like. Call me, Ariela

Cosmic X said...

You should have a refuah shleimah!
Ketivah veChatimah Tovah!

Anonymous said...

can you swim the back stroke? i think i was taught to do that yrs ago for shoulders/neck problems. yoga would probably do the trick (after a yoga class i always enjoy the range of motion of my neck) but i figure youre in the pool anyway. hope it gets better.

Anonymous said...

RivkA - I too have had the same problem - definitely related to the spinal cancer but probably some arthritis too. I haven't found any solution, so I've learned to live with it. I don't think it's any more significant than other back pain.
As for the back-stroke - it may well help but my doctors forbid me swimming in a public pool as long as I'm on chemo (now 3+ years and counting) because of the risk f infection. Please bear that in mind. I did once have the opportunity of swimming in a private pool and found I couldn't swim on my front anyway because of spine and neck pain. Back stroke was the only thing I could do!

Batya said...

Refuah shleimah. Let's hope it's a just a chill from cooler nights.