Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Letting Go

I officially have a teenager.

I am not complaining, just stating a fact.

My daughter is doing her own thing.

She no longer asks me permission for everything.

She uses her own judgment, forms her own opinions, and makes her own decisions.

I am trying to be ok with this.

It is hard to let go. But it is worse to try to hold on tight.

I did that a few weeks ago, and the results were disastrous.

I hope I won't make the same mistake twice.

For a teenager, she is still pretty terrific.

She has good values and her head, and heart, are in the right place.

I pray for the strength to let her be her own person.

I love her so much.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

5 comments:

Ilana said...

I am 7.5 months behind you, and beginning to face some of the same. It is obvious to me as a daughter that I have a separate life from my parents and need to make my own decisions and my own mistakes. So why is it so hard to accept that my daughter has a separate life from me and needs to make her own decisions and her own mistakes?

Strength to both of us in this difficult task! It's a good things you did such a good job her first 14 years -- now she has to actually put it all together for herself.

Anonymous said...

Y is a great kid - not only as you say "for a teenager" - believe me it's easier for ppl other than the mother to see beyond the teenage-ness of them, and I can testify that she is a great person! -Jameela

Jannie Funster said...

This actually brought tears to my eyes. I know that love intimately.

My girl is seven, just turned (I think I'm getting used to that, finally. I am cherishing every moment.

God bless,
Jannie

RivkA with a capital A said...

Square Peg & Jameela -- thanks to both of you, for your encouragement and affirmation!

Jannie -- by the time you are certain that you are used to it, she'll be turning eight!

Keep treasuring every moment!

rickismom said...

Well said. It is SO important to see that goodness, even (especially?) when they aren't choosing the ways we want.