Powered by WebAds

Monday, July 14, 2008

"If Your Head Was Not Attached to Your Neck...."

"If your head was not attached to your neck," my mother would admonish me, "you would forget that too."

As a kid, I resented it. As an adult, I reluctantly admit it is true.


This morning, I did not feel well. I wanted to nap, but there was too much to do. I was busy with a thousand things when I realized that I had to get going or I would be late to the pool. I arrived, just minutes before my first class, and got a parking space right in front of the entrance (the first good thing that happened today). As I removed my keys from the ignition, I looked to my right and noticed... my pool bag was not there.

No pool bag = no swim suit = no lessons.

I had no choice; I had to go back home to get my pool bag.

I sent A into the pool, to tell my student. Then I pulled out of my perfect parking space, knowing that it would not be there when I returned.

I was having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

What could I do? I called my sister.

Thank God for sisters!

She was having a pretty bad day too. But, after hearing about mine, she said "you win!" At least I made her smile (and maybe even feel better)!

My sister is a really good listener. She always knows just what to say!

I am a fixer. My sister is a listener. (You can't always fix things, but you can always listen. I can learn a lot from my sister.)

My sister listens... empathizes... and, when appropriate, laughs.

I felt much better when I got off the phone.


Alas, my day's mishaps were not yet over.

On the way home from the pool, I phoned my son at his friend's home, and instructed him to meet me on the corner.

A few minutes later, as I am driving down Derech Hevron, my daughter asked "why didn't you pick up MD?"

I could not believe that I forgot to pick him up!


My mother's words rang in my ears.


It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

I think I lost my head in Australia.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

5 comments:

Ilana said...

We just read that book today, after not reading it in months and months!

Some days really *are* like that, "even in Australia". I hope tomorrow's better!

Batya said...

Write it like a comedy routine.
Smile!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep smiling...it makes people wonder what you're up to!

:-)

Gila said...

If you are going to lose your head, Australia is a fine place to do so. Lose it in Sydney--really pretty city and fantastic sushi.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Australia is definitely on my list of "places to go and people to see"