Powered by WebAds

Monday, September 14, 2009

Bloggers Picnic -- online planning session

You can just lock me up and throw away the key!! I am so tired!!! And I had two serious posts for tonight! But I got so excited about the enthusiastic response to my picnic inquiry, that I had to take this to the next step. So, here it is...... (at 2:10 in the morning!)


Being a firm believer in democracy, and having no particular personal preference myself (I could go either way), here are the options as I see them:

Please state your preferences:

Also, please rate each of the following dates and times as follows:
1. Great day/time for me
2. Not great but I would come
3. Will try, but not sure
4. Definitely cannot make it

Should we do it on:
1. Sunday, October 11 (no school that day and no need for a succah)
2. Chol HaMoed Succot: (please rank in order of preference)
a. Monday, Oct 5
b. Wednesday, October 6
c. Thursday, October 7
d. Friday, October 8
e. don't care
3. Some other time

If we want to do this outside (free, easy, no one has to clean up...), we should do this soon. My inclination is to do it on Isru Chag, since the succah issue might prevent people from participating. On the other hand, the "real world" goes back to work on Isru Chag.


Should we meet in the:
1. morning 9:00 - 12:00
2. afternoon 1:30 - 5:00
3. evening 6:00 - 8:30

I suggest we meet in the afternoon. It will get dark early (clocks are changing, tick-tick-tick) and it can get quite cool in the evening. Also, parents need to get kids in bed and ready for school the next day. My main concern is how many working bloggers would this exclude?


Suggested location:
1. Park Gilo -- it is a large park, plenty of parking, tables, & shade, "mitkanim" for all ages, bike paths, hikes (for those who need to do something more than just "hang out" -- like spouses and kids.....) -- Accessible by bus (several, in fact)
2. other?

There are lots of great parks, but the layout of park Gilo is particularly conducive to large (or small) groups. I have organized several successful get-togethers there for this reason.

Regarding family/kids/whatever -- I think this is a non-starter, but I will ask, just to get a feel for what you want:

Should our Bloggers picnic be:
1. With family
2. Without family
3. Don't care

If we meet in Park Gilo, this is a non-issue. People can do whatever works for them. The layout allows for maximum flexibility.


If someone has a particularly large home or garden, we can consider that as well. Speak up now (or forever hold your peace...)

I will make up an Excel spreadsheet for collecting the date. I am not slick enough to make an on-line questionairre, but if you know how to do this, please let me know ASAP!

Please leave your email address in the comments section and I will email you the file.

As soon as you send it back to me, I will colate the material and try to post the final date/time by Rosh HaShanah (or maybe right after Rosh HaShanah....)

Alternatively, you can just elect me Queen and I will dictate from above!

Just kidding. Please fill out the form and send it back!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

17 comments:

Karen said...

October 11 is a great idea, but you can't do it that day. You're coming to our bar mitzvah. :)

Safranit (Safra-knit) said...

I prefer morning, chol hamoed (any day) Park Gilo is great...with family. (but I'd come if it were afternoon as well)

Robin

rutimizrachi said...

Any Sunday afternoon is great for me. Park Gilo sounds great; and I love showing off my boys (bli ayin hara, puh-puh-puh), if they're around. Will Jewlicious be handing out "I love Hashem" tee shirts with the Badatz pastry?

bataliyah said...

How I would love to be there to nurture the new blogger friendships I made Sunday night(and to make Ruti laugh very hard), but duty calls me back to the USA.

For now.

Rahel Jaskow said...

Park Gilo, afternoon, during hol ha-mo'ed Sukkot (when I don't have to be at work!).

Thank you so much for organizing this, RivkA -- please let me know if there's something I can do to help.

Rahel Jaskow said...

P.S. Oh, yeah -- families are fine by me.

Leora said...

This all sounds good. Count me in in spirit.

DoubleTapper said...

Bloggers all over the US do this regularly. It's called a blog bash

It's usually done semi regularly in a restaurant that has a private room to allow for lots of shmoozing.

Check it out at http://www.google.com/search?q=blog+bash

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

And I was hoping for the waffle bar in Emek Refaim.

Does Park Gilo have a sukka?

Anonymous said...

How to schedule an event, or make a choice, involving many people: http://www.doodle.com/

Batya said...

I can't make plans. I may have to "run" to NY to get my father. If I can make it, I'll be there.

westbankmama said...

If we can solved the sukkah problem than Chol HaMoed is a better bet (I need to go back to work on Isru Chag). The whole family should be invited (my husband is curious about my blog friends too!)

Risa Tzohar said...

I can't promise to come but chol haoed is ok but not Sunday or Friday (since I don't need a succa and no one in my family is likely to accompany me). Isru chag is good too. Because I'm coming (most likely) from Rehovot 9 in the morning is a bit early for me to get all the way to Gilo. Any other time is great!

Mrs. S. said...

Isru Chag and Sun-Wed of Chol Hamoed (i.e. not Thursday or Friday) are all fine.

If it's on Chol Hamoed, then I probably would prefer with family. But if it's on Isru Chag, I don't care either way.

I second the http://www.doodle.com/ recommendation.

Baila said...

I'm good with almost anything except morning Isruchag...On chol hamoed Ill drag Isaac and the kids, who will come kicking and screaming. (Hey guys will there be pre-teens and teens around?)

Anonymous said...

Just not Thurs 8th afternoon please, choir is singing at Shaareich... coming? :-)

Jane

happyduck1979 said...

I prefer any day other than tuesday that kids are in school- I live about an hour outside of Jerusalem by bus, so late morning to early afternoon would be idea so I can catch a 2 ish bus home to be home for my daughter.