Powered by WebAds

Monday, February 22, 2010

Super Mom (Proud Parenting Moments)

I did something a bit crazy irresponsible today, but it worked out fine, and it was so worth it.

My youngest stayed home sick today.

I was not sure if she was really sick or just feeling a bit overwhelmed.  She had her group interview yesterday, for the Jr. High she wants to attend.  She is worried about them not accepting her.  I know that she will be accepted, but my reassurances do not seem to relieve the pressure she feels.  She thinks:  I'm her mom;  of course I think she's great and will get in.  (The truth is, I really do know that she will get in.  Getting accepted is not as hard as people like to make it out to be. I'm confident enough not to be worried.)

Anyway, back to the present.  My daugher does not like to miss school; so if she asks to stay home, it makes sense to let her.

The thing is, I knew I would be out all day.

I had a morning art class, followed by Chi Kong, at Beit Natan.  Then, a meeting of the editorial staff for the first edition of the Beit Natan newsletter.  (Since I write, I was recruited.)

After that, I planned to go straight from Beit Natan to the pool, to teach.

I left Beit Natan at 2:50 and my first swim class begins at 3:30.  Forty minutes is not a lot of time to cross town, park, change, and get in the pool.

But I made really good time, and arrived in Talpiot, around 3:05.  At the traffic light on Derech Hevron, I should have turned left, to go to the pool.  Instead, I turned right and headed home. (not a rational choice)

I pulled into our parking lot at 3:11.  I figured I had exactly 3 minutes to run in, see how my daughter was feeling, and, if she was up to it (this is a good example of my typical wishful thinking), to bring her to the pool with me.

My daughter still did not feel well, and I think she was running a low fever.  Coming to the pool with me was out of the question. 

But stopping at home was a really good decision.  She really appreciated that I came home just to check on her.  She understood that I could not stay. 

With a quick kiss and a hug, I ran out, hopped in my car, and prayed not to get stuck behind some slow vehicle.  It was 3:15.

God was good to me. 

I parked my car at 3:22 and was in the pool by 3:30, on the dot.

Piece o' cake.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

7 comments:

Liba said...

You are the best mother.

I hope your daughter both has a refuah shelayma and gets her acceptance to the school she wants soon.

mikimi said...

I still think you are AMAZING and cannot see how you manage it all even if you did not have C.

rutimizrachi said...

One of those "cutesy" motivational pictures has a father playfully hoisting his smiling little boy over his head. The caption reads: "In a hundred years, it won't matter what you did for a living. What will matter still is that you were important in the life of a child."

These are the lessons they remember, when all the lectures we have given them fade away.

Batya said...

fantastic
you're great!!

Karen said...

Beautiful, but haven't you heard of cellphones? :)

Shelly said...

You are amazing! Sounds exhausting for anyone.

Ilana said...

I will be glad for your daughter when the acceptances finally come out and she gets into junior high. Worrying about it can really make sixth grade stressful.