Powered by WebAds

Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Little Homemaker

Two weeks ago, my younger daughter announced that she wants to make supper.

Her class put together a recipe book and she was excited about cooking.

So, she added the ingredients she wanted to our shopping list and we got what she needed.

She made an orange soup and homemade pizza.

Very impressive.

Also, a bit funny.

I left her in the kitchen, on her own, since she seemed so confident.  After a few minutes, she asked if she should add eggs to make the dough.  I asked what it said in the recipe. 

It turns out, her pizza recipe calls for dough, but did not include instructions on how to make it.   She knew she needed flour and water....

I went into the kitchen, and saw her stirring a liquidy mixture. 

"How much flour and water did you put in?" I asked.

With an innocent smile, she answered "the rest of the whole wheat flour and about two cups of water."  Then she showed me the drinking cup that she used to "measure" the water.

"OK," I said, taking a deep breath.

Then I did what any person who has no idea how to bake should do.  I called LF.

My sister likes to say "if you took LF and dropped her in the 18th century, she'd be fine."  LF knows how to cook, bake, sew, grow things, etc.

Sure enough, she guided me and my daughter, step by step, until we had a decent dough and a good laugh.

I stayed in the kitchen after that, to help where I could.  My daughter really wanted to make dinner herself. 

It was fun cooking with her. 

She did a fantastic job!!




Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

3 comments:

Staying Afloat said...

Sounds like fun and educational! Also sounds like a good speed for you to be working on- you watch and guide, they do, you all bond.

I hope it tasted good. We made pizza too, during our snow storm- our recipe for dough needs just flour, water, yeast and apple juice- thank you Spice and Spirit (aka the big purple cookbook).

May I ask- orange soup? What exactly is that?

Haddock said...

Kudos to her, for the very fact that she ventured out to do it.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Staying Afloat -- well, we modified the recipe a bit, so this time we put in: carrots, sweet potato, garlic and apples, but it was a bit too sweet, so we added more carrots and some butternut squash. Yummm!

Orange soup is basically any blended soup that is orange.

I have also made it with just pumpkin and an onion. Basically, it can be any combo of orange ingredients, with any combo of onion, garlic, or apple. The "trick" is to blend all the ingredients to make it smooth and creamy.

I just add salt, pepper, and a bit of nutmeg. My daughter added cumin instead of nutmeg. It was delicious.

The pizza dough was a bit thick, but it also came out fine. The proof: no L.O.'s (left-overs)


Haddock -- Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm curious how you found it. Please visit again!!