Powered by WebAds

Friday, October 10, 2008

It's the Plumber, I've Come to Fix the Sink!

It might just be me, but every so often, something triggers my memory, and I am compelled to pronounce, over and over, in a Brooklyn accent, "It's the plumber, I've come to fix the sink!" (Click the link! You'll be glad you did!)

Well, today, I had to call the plumber... to fix the toilet.

The annoying noise, that we have been living with for months, finally transformed into a full-fledged leak. With my parents visiting, we are seven people. One working toilet is not enough!

In theory we have three toilets, but the bathroom in our room has been broken since we moved in. The first plumber who "fixed" it, never finished the job, and, we found out later, actually drilled through one of the water pipes for our radiator. The second plumber fixed the broken pipe and did some other work in the bathroom, but he also never finished the job. As is, the bathroom cannot be used. I ran after both plumbers for a while, before I gave up. I figured I would get back to it, once I finished with the cancer. Well, we know how that turned out....

So today, we called a different plumber.

When he rang the bell, I promplty prounounced: "It's the plumber, he's come to fix the....toilet!"

What can I say? I amuse myself!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

18 comments:

mother in israel said...

Nothing like overseas guests to make us take care of those little things. MY sister is coming in January.

We want to know if he fixed it! Without breaking something else, hopefully.
(left the comment on the wrong post earlier)

Anonymous said...

I have not stopped laughing!
That is a classic - only another oleh of our age group would understnad that. Thank you for sharing. Shabbat shalom. Gmar tov
Ariela

Unknown said...

Now that takes me back a few decades. Sheesh! Shabbat Shalom.

Batya said...

Whatever the joke, we missed it being here since 1970.

But are your toilets fixed?

Do you need another plumber?

RivkA with a capital A said...

I actually called two plumbers, the second one came through!

He sent one of his workers, who fixed the toilet in less than 15 mintues! He simply replaced a small part (a rubber valve, the size of a silver dollar).

Presto.

Service with a smile!

mother in israel said...

I read once that bleach ruins those rubber things.

mother in israel said...

PS:
I'm an olah in the same age group as Rivka, and I don't get it either!

Anonymous said...

Yes, those overseas guests do impel us to take care of these things - my husband says that he feels that every time his parents come (twice a year for ~3 weeks)they notice all the things that are still hanging around since their last visit...

-Na'amah

Ilana said...

I sometimes make that joke too! And so does another mutual friend, MR.

Did you use the plumber I recommended?

BTW, the guy we called was successful in fixing our fridge on Friday afternoon, thank goodness.

I hope you have a really great visit with your parents. I wish you every success in achieving your goals with them.

rutimizrachi said...

LOL Thanks for the dance down Memory Lane.

May your life soon be blessed with only normal, ordinary crises.

Much bracha and simcha in the new year.

Anonymous said...

For those who did not get the joke - see RivkA's link! That clip was a regular feature on the American TV show "Sesame St." (or was it "Electric Co."?) when we were kids. Whenever anyone knocks on my door I play that scene in my head.
Hag sameach,
Ariela

RivkA with a capital A said...

It was on The Electric Company! (which is connected to Sesame Street, but targets little kids who are a bit older)

For the YouTube clip of the plumber, click here.

For more fun with The Electric Company, check this out: The Electric Company

WARNING: I spent at least an hour walking down memory lane!

mother in israel said...

The quote was vaguely familiar to me. I watched Sesame St. more I guess.

Eliyahu S. said...

Thank you RivkA, for restoring a piece of my chiildhood. :)

- Eliyahu

A Living Nadneyda said...

Thanks so much for the EC link! What memories, OMG! "Silent E" is Tom Lehrer, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Do you remember Cowboy X?

jonesalbert said...

This is actually a very interesting read. I've stumbled upon your page accidentally, but I'm glad I did - quite a few good topics. I'll be sure to come back in the future. Thanks.

Plumber Prahran

Amit Gupta said...

I read this blog post interestingly found the tips and facts for effective cleaning services and you can also find out the best and reliable Home Improvement at your local, thanks for sharing the valuable blog with us.