Powered by WebAds

Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Child's Faith

"No! Don't say that!" she said, so adamantly.

I was surprised, but I should not have been. It was not the first time my youngest daughter reacted this way.

A few weeks ago, a representative from one of Israel's cancer organization came to my kid's school, to prepare the kids to go door-to-door, to collect money for cancer (mivtza hakesh badelet). Both of my children came home with objections about the presentation. (Apparently, they feel pretty expert about cancer)

At first my daughter was annoyed by things the speaker said that "were not true!" But, eventually she asked several questions about the things that confused her.

Last night, she asked about a machine the man said would cure cancer. (I think she was referring to radiation treatments).

During our conversation, she mentioned my friend, TK, who "has what [I] have." I clarified that we do not have the same type of cancer, but that we both have cancers that will not go away, unless God makes a miracle.

"No! Don't say that!" said my little girl, with an earnestness, that was cute and, at the same time, heart wrenching.

"You need to trust in God," she continued, "that He can make miracles."

"Don't say 'unless.'" she commanded, pouting a little.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, "We will have cancer, until God makes a makes a miracle..."

"Is that better?" I asked, tentatively.

"Yes!" she said, adamant again, this time with a half smile.

"Come here," I beckoned to my serious little girl.

I wrapped her in my arms and hugged her tight.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

8 comments:

Erica said...

I've been lurking on your site for a few weeks, a month maybe, and wanted to come out and leave a comment to say A) I do pray for happiness, health, healing and good thoughts for RivkA bat Teirtzel, and B) that that was a very sweet story, and you are so lucky to have such lovely children. Bless your soul, and theirs, and a refuah sh'leimah gadol to you.

Anonymous said...

We Love You.
ABH

rickismom said...

Look, she also has a journey to make in facing the knowledge that Mom has a potentially dangerous illness.
And this is of course not an easy matter, because causing unneeded fear is harmfull as well.
Depending how old she is, you might want to consider art therapy as a way to help her deal with her fears.
Refuah Shleima and a Happy Sukkos!

Eliyahu S. said...

Awww, RivkA. Were you TRYING to make us cry, too? Cause you did a good job. :)

What a cutie! How often our kids manage to take our breaths away is just amazing!


Chag sameach!

- Eliyahu

Anonymous said...

i was wondering about that presentation...not sure it was the most sensitive thing to do.

Batya said...

Kids are amazing.
I guess those who coached the presenters didn't take into account that some kids know what cancer is.

My cousin grew up with a mother sick many years with cancer. I once mentioned (emailed) to him that he had had a difficult childhood. "No, I don't consider it to have had been difficult. It was normal, the only one I knew."

A Living Nadneyda said...

Your communication with your kids is beautiful and inspiring.

rutimizrachi said...

I agree with ALN. Your kids are so fortunate to have a mother who hears them when they speak from their hearts, and who acknowledges the significance of their thoughts. No child could have a better start in the world than this.