Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Party's Over....

Well, I did not do anything dramatic, but I really had a wonderful birthday.

I started on Wednesday, February 11th, in the morning. My friend RD called to wish me a happy birthday. I had already received several early b-day wishes from friends via Facebook.

"It's not my birthday yet," I corrected her.

"Are you sure....?" My friend asked, hesitating.

I checked the date on my computer.

What did I know? "I guess it is my birthday," I admitted sheepishly.

My friend wanted to know if she and another friend, JB, could take me out to lunch for my birthday. How nice!!

I was tired. I did not really feel like going out. It was cold and rainy outside, making the prospect of leaving my warm home even less inviting. But I knew that if I did not take them up on their offer, I would do absolutely nothing for my birthday, and I would feel really sad at the end of the day. So, I smiled big, said "Thank you!" and rearranged my morning.

I had such a nice time!!

We went to Tal Bagels, which has become quite "the place" to hang out. All around us were people in business meetings, laptops covering the tabletops. There is even a back room where individuals can work in peace and quiet. No need to rent office space anymore, just order a cup of coffee and plug in!

We did not order anything fancy, just bagels and spreads from the lunchtime menu. I ordered an everything bagel, the trout salad, mozerella and sun-dried tomatoes, and a spread made from Bulgarian cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto. Everything was fresh and tasty!

It was fun just hanging out, eating and talking. Time flew by and, before we knew it, we were there for two hours! (I called to cancel my OT appointment and was able to postpone it instead.)

Since we were out for my birthday, we ordered a dessert to share. We picked something out from the counter. It was deliciously rich. I don't remember what it was called, but it was yummy!

Though we planned on hanging out for an hour and a half. When we checked on the time, we discovered that we had been talking for almost two and a half hours!

The rest of the day was... well, it was "regular," except that I received all these Facebook b-day wishes.

Then I had the idea of doing something for my birthday. I was too tired to organize any kind of get together (even though IS volunteered to host anything I wanted to do). So, I came up with my post about what I really want for my birthday. That was a great idea! I am definitely doing something similar next year! (b'li neder) Reading what people wrote has been the best gift!!

Meanwhile, another friend offered to take me out next (meaning: this) week. (yay! prolonging the b-day experience even further!)

In addition, IS and CV came over on Sunday afternoon for another b-day celebration. IS brought lunch (delicious Shabbat LOs) and CV brought a cake pie from La Cuisine (an AMAZING, possibly the best, bakery in Jerusalem!! ). CV also brought a candle for the cake pie and we all (including me) sang happy birthday to me!

Picture this: three middle aged women (we are what we are) sitting around a small kitchen table, boisterously singing happy birthday!

I imagine that we might have looked silly, had anybody been watching. Luckily, none of us is too hung up about appearances!

I might have felt a bit silly if people sang to me in a restaurant, but I did not mind being silly in the privacy of my own home!!

That night, I had my support group and, even there, we had a minute or two of birthday cheer.

Monday, the 22nd of Sh'vat, my "Ivri" (Jewish) b-day, was rather uneventful. I had thought that I might meet my husband for a birthday lunch, but I was too tired, and took a nap instead. (At least I meant to take a nap. I am not quite sure if it actually happened.) Then I taught swimming (always a pleasure!!), but not necessarily b-day related (until my eldest daughter arranged for everyone to sing happy birthday to me).

After swimming, I was in a fantastic mood! So, though I originally told Moshe that I would not be up for going out to celebrate, that is exactly what we did. For the past few years, we have not managed to go out to celebrate either of our birthdays. We have either been sick, or tired, or had some other unavoidable conflict.

We went to a really nice restaurant, La Guta. The food was delicious, the waitress was attentive and pleasant, and the general ambiance was relaxed and intimate. I really enjoyed spending some quiet time together with Moshe. We did not talk about anything heavy, just enjoyed each other's company. It was a lovely evening out.

Then we came home and discovered that our busy little elves had cleaned and decorated our bedroom! What a perfect ending to my birthday celebrations!

Today, life went back to normal (whatever that is!).

This evening, once again, I tucked in my two little ones. I spent a few minutes with each, then sang to them individually. It won't be long before they feel too "old" for their mommy to sing to them. I am glad that, within the privacy of our home, they still welcome these family rituals. I treasure these moments.

It was another hour before my eldest breezed in the door. I was on the phone, and she was eager for me to end my conversation. No sooner did I hang up the phone than she began talking a mile a minute. She had so much energy!! She talked, practically non-stop, for almost an hour. I love listening to her. She is full of so much enthusiasm about all that she is doing and everything she wants to be doing. She wants to live life to the fullest and she is determined not to waste a second! I love watching her animated expressions. She is a powerhouse!

At the end of the day, this poised and mature young girl also wants a hug and a kiss from her mommy. She is so cute! So grown up, and yet still a little girl.... my little girl!

*sigh*

It really has been a wonderful few days!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

2 comments:

rickismom said...

Glad you had such a nice day!

adena said...

I, too, am so happy that you enjoyed your birthday so much! You deserve it!