Powered by WebAds

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Medical Update -- Second Opinion

"Why are you here?" asked the oncologist.

"My doctor wanted me to get an expert opinion," I responded.

"What nonsense; he's an expert in his own right," she muttered under her breath.

So, I explained that my doctor wanted someone with a fresh opinion, from another hospital, who would examine my case from an unbiased perspective.

That, she found tenable.

Her analysis does differ somewhat. She notes that:

1. all my markers have been rising steadily(not just the CA-125). That, coupled with my increasing pain, indicates, without doubt, that there is "progression of disease."

2. the CT report does not indicate that the cancer has been eliminated from my liver. After the second report, noting that the lesion is smaller, all following reports note "no change."

3. though there is no evidence of disease on the MRI, since there is no previous MRI with which to compare the results, they are inconclusive. Perhaps with this type of imaging, no evidence would have been apparent, even in the beginning.

4. there are lesions evident on the CT, that could be tumors.

She recomments switching treatment.

I expressed my concern that I have already "used up" one of the drugs that are appropriate for my cancer.

She assured me that there are still plenty of drugs left in the "arsenal" and that there is a lot of research these days about HER2 breast cancer.

The uncertainty is disconcerting.

But we are just talking about changing treatments.


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

3 comments:

Unknown said...

and we will just continue praying....

Anonymous said...

I second Leah's comment, above. But I add: and PG you will continue doing all of the amazing things you have been doing!

Lots of love and hugs (and hugs o'war)

-Na'amah :-)

Batya said...

I'm impressed that the new/second opinion doctor didn't criticize. G-d willing the change will be good.

refuah shleimah