Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Know Anyone High Up in Maccabi?

My health fund (Maccabi) denied me coverage of the Herceptin.

Before we go any further (and before anyone suggests we try to pay for it ourselves, or with donations), Herceptin costs 170,000 NIS per year.

The fund claims that
1. the "progression of disease" shows that the Herceptin stopped working, and
2. I am no different from all the other patients in my situation

However, there are two senior oncologists whose clinical experience leads them to believe that the Herceptin is still a valuable component of my treatment, and there is a research study going on right now to prove just that. Not to mention, most other patients in my situation are eligible to participate in this study, providing them with a means of receiving treatment, where I have none.

So, tomorrow I will start writing letters....

Meanwhile, anyone have any "protectzia"?



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

9 comments:

Robin said...

I'm contacting someone I know. I'll let you know if she can help in any way.

Anonymous said...

What about writing letters to the media as well? I know JPost wrote about your blog (as did makor reshon) and seem to love you. (as we all do). Good luck!
Love ariela

Anonymous said...

Rivka You might like to call Milchama Beshartan 03 5721608 ask for Edit They cant help with money but they may be able to help in other ways. I just spoke to them myself after making my annual contribution
Good luck I pray for you always

Aliza

Gila said...

I sent a link to this post to a friend of mine who seems to know everyone. And in the meantime, am praying for you.

Baila said...

I wish I knew someone. If I ever come across that person, you can be sure I'll let you know. In the meantime I'll keep thinking positive thoughts and praying.

Batya said...

Sorry, I don't have connections. Previous comments are correct that you must get back into mainstream media.
Refuah Shleimah
Contact whomever interviewed you previously and Greer of jpost.

Marion said...

Now if you were on Meuchedet I might be able to help...but no protektzia with Maccabi.

Anonymous said...

My husband (oncologist) says what about Pykerb (an oral pill)? You can contact me at fca513@gmail.com.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Believe it or not, it did not occur to me to go back to the media.

I just contacted the person who interviewed me, and he put me in touch with someone else... We'll see where that leads...