Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Medical Update -- changing meds

Well, it is official. I am definitely switching chemos.

My markers have bounced back up and they are higher than ever.

I will definitely be getting Taxol.

If my health fund (Maccabi) approves, I will also continue with the Herceptin.

The health fund might deny coverage, due to lack of "evidence" that continuing Herceptin with a different chemo is effective. The research, that I cannot join, due to the cancer only being in my bones, is to prove what the doctors suspect, that it is beneficial to continue treating with Herceptin.

Unless, I get the Herceptin within the next 7 days, even if it is approved, I will have to get another "loading dose." That means another major chemo day from hell.....



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rooting for you over here...updates are appreciated...

Rivki said...

RivkA~ I just want to cry. I'm very ignorant when it comes to cancer, especially in the bones. Is it bone marrow? If so have they talked about trying to find someone to match you for a bone marrow replacement? Many Blessing of Health to you~

~Rebecca

Rahel Jaskow said...

Sending prayers and hugs. Do you need a chemo date?

Baila said...

Always, always wondering, thinking and praying. I hope the chemo day is not as bad as you fear.

Gila said...

As per above.... thinking and praying and please keep us posted. Also, check your coffee and chemo email account. I sent out an email to introduce you to someone who may be of some use in the diving department.

RivkA with a capital A said...

tnspr569 - thanks, will do my best

Rebecca - I do not have bone cancer, I have breast cancer in my bones. (wierd, but true) I know it can be confusing. I was confused for a while, before I finally figured it all out.

Rahel - I am always happy to schedule chemo dates with anyone who wants to come hang out with me!

Baila - The first few times they administer Taxol, they also give you Fergern (a super-duper antihistamine), and that knocks you out, so you basically just sleep.....

Gila - thanks! Will do!