Powered by WebAds

Saturday, July 19, 2008

How A Technophobe Became a Blogger....

What was I supposed to do?

I was supposed to be done with cancer!

Instead, the cancer was back and had mysteriously spread from my no-longer-existing breast to my bones, liver and lungs.

Suddenly everyone wanted to know how I am doing.

I could barely cope with the news. Every time I talked about it, I started crying.

I could not make a million phone calls. I did not have time to send either personal or group emails.

I had three young children and I did not know how I was going to get through the next twenty four hours. (That panic persisted for weeks!)

Still, I did not want to blow off my family and friends.

A friend suggested I use a blogging site for people dealing with health issues. It made sense, but I did not want my identity to be defined by illness. So.... I found a user friendly, "normal" blogging site, and, despite my latent technophobia, decided to jump right in and start blogging.... I just needed to choose a blog name...

Wow, that was almost as hard as choosing names for my kids!
(Did I mention that my first child had no name for over two weeks?!!)

Late one Saturday night, my husband and I were hanging out with a serious blogger friend (Jameel) and his wife (Jameela). For over an hour, we brainstormed about a name for my blog. We came up with.... nothing. (worse than nothing -- we had a list of really lame names). At midnight, we called it quits.

As we were leaving, I mentioned to Jameela that I was making "coffee and chemo" dates with friends.

"That's it!!" shouted Jameel, "that's the name of your blog!!"

And so it is....



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA



(Cross posted here)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just discovered your blog, although I recall the signature from visiting Trepp's.
I enjoyed reading this post. Strange how we pick names for blogs!
I'll definitely add you to my prayers.

The Five + of Us said...

it took me quite awhile to choose a name too... and then as soon as i decided, i found out the name i wanted wasn't available... over and over, until, finally, i found one that worked out all around.

as for technophobia, well, at least i'm living with a tech guy.

keep it up.... we like being updated!

y weinstock said...

I, for one, love the name. I've been catching up a bit on your blog. The ear things sounds very traumatic. I used to get lots of ear infections when I was a kid and I remember the pain being unbearable...