Powered by WebAds

Monday, September 27, 2010

Fantasty

I am finished!

I read all of Harry Potter!! 

OK, so most other fantasy fans finished the series ages ago.....  Not us. 

I started reading the books when my kids were younger.  I read the books out loud to them in English.  Then, we kind of lost steam in the middle of book four.  My son finished reading the series himself, in Hebrew, and the rest of us just sort of lost interest.

But now there is that new Harry Potter park at Universal's Island of Adventure, in Orlando, and we all want to go see it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my eldest had begun reading the series.  Excited, she informed me that she wanted to read all the books and see all the movies before we visit the theme park.  That sounded like a good idea to the rest of us, so my son reread the series in English, my youngest started reading the series in Hebrew (to be accurate, she started reading in English, but it took her too long, so she switched to reading in Hebrew and is already almost finished with the sixth book) and I started reading the series in English.

I could not put the books down until I finished.

I have been so engrossed in the books, that I have done nothing in recent weeks but read and sleep.  Admittedly, I did a lot more sleeping than reading.  However, every waking moment that I could, I burried my head in one of the books.

Now, I am done!

Tomorrow, we are going to a friend's home for a Harry Potter Marathon.  We plan on watching the first three movies (though if we run out of time, we might only watch the first two).

We are already planning our trip to Orlando, to visit the Harry Potter theme park. 

We saw glimpses of the park, as they were building it, during our visit to Orlando last winter.

I can't wait until my youngest finishes the series and we can all discuss the books together!



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

11 comments:

Bernie said...

Hello RivkA, I have been away so have been trying hard to catch up on everyone's post. I am sorry you haven't been feeling that well, and that more tumors were found. I am happy you are feeling better now and are planning your vacation. I loved Harry Potter and I too have read all her books. What a series.
Please be well my friend, am keeping you in my heart and prayers......:-)Hugs

SuperRaizy said...

Mazal Tov! We Potterheads are very happy to welcome you into our club!

Baila said...

So THAT'S why you haven't posted, huh?

My kids all read the whole series and constantly re-read the books. I have tried to read them, but just couldn't get past the first chapter of the first book. Also fell asleep for the first two movies, so I haven't gone to any of the others.

So I guess I'm not a Pot-head after all. ;-)

Batya said...

B"H it's great to see you posting. I'm probably the only person in the world who has neither read the books nor seen the movies.

Anonymous said...

Ah! Your blog silence explained! We are also big fans, with one family member having read the complete series six times, cross referencing to the other volumes as she goes. Personally, my family knew not to expect anything from me for the 24 hours after I got my hands on each new volume.

LOL and chag sameach.

Na'amah

Frume Sarah said...

I LOVED the series. We tried to introduce them to our 10 year old. But (thank you, Aspergers) he just can't get them. Yet. Can't get them yet. I remain hopeful that we will find a way to present the info in a way that he can understand AND get passed his fears of the "scary stuff."

So glad that you are enjoying the experience. I hope you follow-up with your thoughts on movies vs. books after your film-a-thon.

;) R

Sarah B. said...

Congratulations! Yet another person I can talk to without worrying about giving them "spoilers"!

RivkA with a capital A said...

Bernie -- Rading the series = serious escape from reality.

I freely admit that I enjoyed those few weeks of obsession. I just HAD to KNOW what happened!

Raizy -- Glad to be a part of the club! I finally can stop worrying about accidental spoilers!

Baila -- The truth comes out......

Batya -- Read Baila's comment, just before yours; apparently, she has not read them either (or seen the movies)

Na'amah -- In our family, my son is our HP encyclopedia. Nonetheless, my eldest daughter inspired us all to read the books.

Frume Sarah (R) -- I do not think the disinterest has to to with Aspergers. I know several boys with Asperger's who are serious HP fans.

Sarah B -- oh, yeah!! anytime babe!!

Rieshy said...

I read the last 2 outloud to my children- even my teens, kind of a family event. The slower pace of reading aloud stretched out the excitement.

My children are awaiting the last movies. I'd not heard about Orlando though. I hope you have a fabulous visit.

Shimshonit said...

My husband and I are serious Potterheads, and read them aloud to each other as each one was published. The rule was, we could each go back and reread what we'd read together, but no fair reading ahead. It was a joy. We prefer the books to the movies, but view the movies as stand-alone and appreciate them more that way than as interpretations of the books.

I hadn't heard there is a Potter theme park---that just might get me and my family to go to Florida next time we're in the US. I hope it's wonderful experience for you.

mrg & grm said...

I'm also a huge HP fan. November 19 baby - the next movie!