Powered by WebAds

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Proud Parenting Moments -- Chanukah Challenges

It is the first night of Chanukah, and we could not find even five minutes with all the kids home at once.

Is there a way to slow them down once they hit adolescence???

MD did not get home from Ofek (afternoon program for gifted kids) until after 7:30.

A left for gymnastics at 7:00, and came home at 8:30.

Y left for gymnastics at 6:00, breezed back in at 7:15, and then out at 7:30 to go to her high school Chanukah party. After the party, she and all the other girls in her class are going to one of her friend's for a sleepover party. It is good to be young!!!


1. Over the past few weeks, Y asked me repeatedly to call about "madatzim" ("madrichim ze'irim" - young leaders) and help her figure out which group she will be in this year. I kept forgetting, and tonight she got upset because it was "too late" for her to attend the Chanukah seminar. I apologized and told her I would call right now. Convinced she would not be able to go, she declared that she "did not want to go anymore, anyway!" Despite her protests, and because of more than a little guilt, I called the person in charge. Thankfully, I worked everything out for her. You should have seen her smile!!! Forgiving everything, she told me: "You're the best!!!" and gave me a giant hug. Sometimes it is nice to work miracles.....

2. Y was eager to get to her school on time for the party. As soon as she finished teaching gymnastics, she rushed home, missing her own workout. She got everything together in a flash and was ready to zip out the door. I could see that she was stressed, and offered to wait for the bus with her. Without thinking of herself, she responded "But you'll be cold." I asked her if she wanted me to wait with her. "I don't want to be selfish," she responded, not answering my question. "Do you want me to wait with you?" I asked her again, several times, before she admitted that she would really like that. So together, we left the house and I waited with her until the bus came. Then, as she was about to get on the bus, she realized that she left her wallet at home. Crushed, she watched the bus pull away.

3. The next bus was in another 15-20 minutes. Y found her wallet and then did not know what to do with herself. She was hungry and anxious. She would have just grabbed something junky, but I helped her find something nutritious to eat. Then, again, I offered to wait with her for the next bus. This time, she immediately asked for my company. As we were waiting for the bus, I could tell she was frustrated. I held her hand, and listened. Had she known that she would be leaving this late, she would have stayed for her workout at gymnastics. It was hard to find the "right" things to say. I wavered between empathizing, making jokes, and just reassuring her that everything would work out all right. Finally, the bus came. She flashed me a shy smile as she got on the bus. "You're the best, Ima."

Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,


Ilana said...

Wow, you're doing more than one "something" right! Incidents like these can warm you up for days and days.

BTW, we're all waiting eagerly to find out which chemo day you're switching to. Don't forget to write when you've figured it out.

Anonymous said...

What a heartwarming story. You should be really proud of your daugther and yourself for raising her.

RivkA with a capital A said...

It's nice to get it "right" at least some of the time.

Looks like chemo day is moving to Thursday...