Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Chemo Day

LONG chemo day today. LONG story....

I called early, so that my medication would be ready when I arrived. I got there early, so that there would be plenty of time.

Life is not in my control.

The prescription wasn't ready. The medication wasn't ordered. I would have to wait.

Meanwhile, I needed to see a doctor. My doctor, who is still "out of office", said that I have to see another doctor about the pain in my hip, which has returned.

I was pleased to see a doctor with whom we already have a relationship. He is a gentle doctor and answered many questions (not just about my hip).

Unfortunately, on Tuesdays, this doctor works in a different section of the hospital. Had I been waiting in the day ward, then I would have been hooked up to the IV as soon as it was ready. But the different location meant that I "lost" about an hour (we waited almost 45 minutes, then spent at least 15 minutes consulting the doctor).

By the time I returned to the day ward, it was relatively late.

In addition to the stress of beginning treatment late, I was disappointed to return to the ward after the volunteer massage therapists had finished for the day.

I missed my massage.

Thankfully, I had really great company: a very entertaining friend.

We laughed a lot.

We also shared some of the frustrations of living with a long term illness. We laughed about that too.

She had many good insights and some really good lines. (wish I could remember them)

I finished just before four, when the day ward closes. (did I mention that I received all three medications today?)

Before going home, I crossed over to the oncology ward to visited a friend I met during treatments. She has a different kind of cancer, and she is not doing well. That's a euphemism for: not responding to treatments. She's a very special woman. And she's dying.

I hadn't seen her for almost a month. I wasn't prepared for the change. This strong, powerful woman was lying in bed, tired, worn out, and in pain. During my visit, she was alert and dynamic. She still has spunk. When she smiles, her eyes sparkle. But the visit was bittersweet.

My mother, who picked me up from the hospital, visited with her as well. We met her charming daughter, who recently got married. We reminisced about younger, better times. I learned that my friend played special "clean-up" music on Fridays. The way she and her daughter described it, I could almost see them dancing to Bob Marley, while cleaning their home. Cool.

When I left the hospital, I was glad my mom was with me.

At home, I spent a few hours with my kids.

Then Moshe and I left for an engagement party of a friend of ours.

Even though I was very tired, I didn't want to miss her simcha (celebration). (I really wanted to meet her chatan (fiancé) )

I am so glad we went.

It was good to end the day with a celebration of new beginnings.


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you so much for making it last night!!!! I appreciate the effort it took on your part and was sooo happy to share the simcha with you.
-Leah

Merry Christmas said...

RivkA,

I come quite often now to see how you are doing. Every night the family says many prayers for you.

You are still special to me in my heart. I am glad you made the simcha.

Blessing to you.
Karen Chung-Flores
www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My blogsite above

Batya said...

Enjoy life.