Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Advantages to Cancer: #1 Family Comes to Visit

Towards the end of his last visit, my father announced that he intended to visit again, during Chanukah.

I wasn't certain what triggered his desire to come again, so soon. Was it because of the frustration he felt about not having had enough "quality time"? Or was it because he realized how important these visits are for my kids (and me)?

When my kids were born, my mom came to visit every year, but my dad only came once every two years. As Y neared four, my dad determined that he had to visit more often, in order to build a close relationship with the kids.

For a short while, he came to visit, with my mom, twice a year. But then the visits dwindled to once a year, and occasionally once every year and a half.

Maintaining these long distance relationships is tough!

Of course, email helps. And now the kids are old enough for real phone conversations. But nothing is like being there in person.

So I just assumed that my dad was now returning to his previous decision that more frequent visits are good for maintaining long distance relationships.

And then…. it occurred to me that maybe he was coming because I have cancer.

So I asked him.

Well, what do you know?

He decided to come because I have cancer.

I wasn’t really happy about that reason… but I was still happy for him to visit.

I get the bad stuff no matter what. I might as well enjoy the good stuff.

Advantages to Cancer:
#1 family comes to visit

(one day I’m going to make an actual list)


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

No comments: