Powered by WebAds

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Only Good Things

I want to share with you what happened today at chemo, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I am so tired. My plan for the evening was to blog and go to sleep.

But then I decided to sit with the kids for supper, which was REALLY nice. No one bickered or complained. We just sat around talking. It was really pleasant. (It is nice to know that can actually happen every now and then!)

Then Moshe called to see if it was okay with me if he went again (for the THIRD time) to the international book fair. He really wanted me to join him, but I was too tired. I would have liked him to come home and put the kids to bed, but then he would get to the fair too late. So I told him to go and have a good time. (For Moshe, going to the book fair is like letting a kid loose in a candy shop. Not to mention that Moshe ALWAYS encourages me to go out and do whatever I want. So how could I say no??)

After dinner, while the kids were doing their chores, I sat down to blog. Y, who has already finished her chore, notices me writing on the computer. She flashes me those puppy dog eyes that melt my soul, and cajoles "Aren't you going to teach me to read Megilla tonight?"

I vaguely remember putting her off already, at least twice. I realize that I must have, in a moment of insanity, offerred to teach her Megilla tonight. I realized I could not say no to her either.

I took a deep breath, smiled brightly, and said "Of course I am!"

After the kids got ready for bed, MD went to do homework on the computer, A went to clean her room, and Y & I sat on the couch and started learning.

It was really fun learning with her. She already knows how to read Torah, and she is very musical, so she caught on quickly to the new t'amim (notes). I did not remember all of the t'amim so well, so we put in a few calls to TS, who graciously sang the notes over the phone.

At 9:20, I gave 5 minute notices to all concerned. And at 9:25, I asked Y to put everyone to bed.

Y was so happy about our learning together, she did not even protest. Aderaba (just the opposite), she gave me a hug and whispered in my ear, "you're the best!"

Then she discovered that I had mended one of her favorite Shabbat skirts. (I have been catching up on my sewing during chemo -- more on that another time here) She was SOOOO HAPPY!! She gave me another hug and whispered in my ear, again, "you're the best!"

So while Y put her siblings to bed, I tidied up the kitchen counters (which are STILL clear and clean, 10 days and counting!!).

So, now you understand why I just cannot stay up and write any more.

Last night I was in bed by 10:00 (way early for me!) Tonight, it's 11:00 (still pretty early for me; I kid you not) and I have been ready to go to sleep for hours!

It was a long, challenging day, but it ended so great!!

Have I mentioned recently how much I love my kids?!?!

Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,


Anonymous said...

I will get my 1st chemo treatment on Monday morning....thought i would check on what people say is good to do before and or during the chemo time in our lives.
I was touched by your openess and brave nesss. Happy healing thoughts are going your way.


RivkA with a capital A said...

Margie -- thanks! Good luck!!