Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Chemo Day: Tues, Sept 4, 21st of Elul

Over the last few days I felt more energetic than I have in weeks! The week off made a huge difference.

When I realized how much better I felt, I started to feel a bit down about returning to chemo. I felt really sad that I was going to be tired again for another three weeks... until my next vacation. But, I'm trying not to let those feelings get the better of me!

I arrived at chemo in a pretty good mood. I know most of the staff by now. The nurses are very friendly and there's a lot of joking around. It makes the experience much more pleasant. (as pleasant as can be, given the circumstances).

I also know some of the other patients by now. There is a feeling of caring and consideration among the patients. Most patients hang out in a large day-room, with very comfy chairs (recliners for the patients and comfortably chairs for their companions). When someone is finished, they wish everyone else good health as they leave. It's nice.

I expected today to be pretty quick. Naively, I thought I'd be finished by noon. Silly me! Even though it took longer than expected to get started (almost three hours from the time I got there until I got the medications), once I actually got started, the IVs only took about 45 minutes.

I had a meeting scheduled with the oncologist today, so my entire "crew" came with me. My mom came, both to see what goes on and for the meeting with the doctor. My MIL (mother in law) also came in especially for the meeting (from BS). I always appreciate having extra sets of ears, so I don't mind them joining me. Moshe was there too, of course.

I always come with a list of questions. My mother also had her own list. The doctor was very patient and answered all of our questions. On the way out, he said to me: "I can see from where you get your questions and your reading. There are apples and then there are apple trees."

It was very cute. I know that he appreciates patients who are well informed and take an interest in their own care.

Apparently, patients with this kind of attitude also have better outcomes.

Anyway, after the meeting with the doctor, my mom and Moshe left to pick up the kids and go to work, and my MIL kept me company until I was done.

The doctor wanted me to get a CT to check out some pain in my hip. I was hoping to get the hitchayvut from the kupah (health fund) so that I could get it done already, while I was already at the hospital (or, at least, in the neighborhood). Also, I didn't want to come in the next day, when I will probably be very tired and had planned to rest at home all day.

While we were waiting, my mother in law took me to lunch nearby, at Yad Sarah. This is Jerusalem's best kept secret eating spot. It's only open until 2:30, but the food is good, and cheap! (soup is 8 NIS per bowl and we had a nice meal for 20 NIS per person!)

We actually got there past closing time. The door was still open, but the food had been put away. So we went in to ask what the hours were. The Russian check-out lady was yelling at another young worker (possibly a bat-sheirut). We almost left, but then the check-out lady finished yelling and started laughing (at the same worker! So Israeli!) Anyway, when the check-out lady realized we had come for food, she asked the behing-the-counter-lady to tell us what food was still available. The check-out lady graciously let us purchase lunch and eat in the restaurant, even though the restaurant had closed and we were the only people there. It was one of those "only in Israel" experiences.

Even after lunch, I still hadn't received approval for the CT (I should get it tomorrow morning). So we left, and my MIL brought me home.

I was feeling tired, but not too bad.

I wanted to sleep when I got home, but one thing led to another and then we had to leave for the parents' meeting at my daughter's junior high school (more on that tomorrow).

It was important to me to attend the school meeting, but I was admittedly a little worried that I wouldn't be up for it. I got the bone drug today, and last time I got really sick from that drug. But I made it. B'li eyin hara', I seem to be reacting better to the bone drug this time.

All in all, it wasn't a bad day.

Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear this time was better than last time you had the bone meds...thinking of you every day and hope that the meds were not only [relatively] easy on you but effective in your refuah shleima! You're in our tefillot and Tehilim, as you know... -Jameela