I tried to bypass the trip to Tel Aviv.
I emailed the oncologist and received an answer from her. She recommends Xeloda and Herceptin.
Because Moshe wanted an uninfluenced opinion, I sent her the minimal amount of information necessary to form an independent opinion. But now I had more specific questions.
I emailed her again, but did not receive an answer. So I called her with several follow up questions.
She was in the middle of seeing patients, so she was not available for a lengthy discussion. I managed to ask about Taxotere, and she repeated her recommendation to switch to Xeloda.
I wanted to ask her more questions, but she did not have the time or the patience. I asked if there was another time that I could call her. She was noncommital.
That is the only thing that I do not like about this doctor. The only way to consult with her is to come in person. It seems to me that we should be able to have a short phone consultation for relatively simple questions or, at least, a short correspondence via email.
It is clear that the only way we are going to receive satisfactory answers to all our (read: Moshe's) questions is to go in for a consult.
Moshe really wants to do this. I really do not want to. This is so ironic. I am going for him, and he is going for me.
Either way, we are both going to Tel Aviv tonight.
All I want to do is sleep. I forced myself to stay awake to call the oncologist when the secretaries said to call. (Then I had to argue with the secretary until she put me through, and then the doctor did not even really have time to talk with me!)
Now I can't sleep because I have to get ready to go see the doctor, because she did not have time to answer my questions over the phone, and she would not commit to talking with me later.
Oh, yeah, and did I mention that we had an appointment for 8:30 pm, but they moved us up to 7:30, which is NOT a good time for us?!?! (I hope I can sleep in the car!)
I am really trying to stay focussed on how important this is to Moshe.
I wish my two doctors would just talk directly with each other.
I am really inclined to take the Taxotere, for all the reasons I wrote in my previous post.
Moshe asked that I do not decide anything until I speak with the other oncologist. I am trying, but it is difficult.
Now, in addition to not wanting to spend the time or money getting this second opinion, I am worried that it will cause even more strife if Moshe and I do not agree on the next course of treatment.
...as if I did not already have enough stress in my life!
I HATE having cancer!
Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.
With love and optimism,
Magical Mystery Tape
3 hours ago