I woke up this morning to a beautiful flurry outside my window....
It was just an illusion. We could see the snow settling on the next hill. But, once again, no snow in Homat Shmuel.
It turns out that, despite appearing to be a tall mountain, Homat Shmuel is actually one of the lowest hills of Jerusalem. We get less snow than anywhere else in Jerusalem!
So, when the radio announced that there would be school today (starting at 9:00, instead of 8:00), we (read: Moshe) woke up the kids, got them ready, and drove them to school.
Moshe dropped off Y, waited for her to confirm that the gate was open, and then drove away.
A minute later, Y called. The gate was open, but her school was locked.
Moshe drove back to pick her up.
*** Meanwhile, back at the ranch... ***
The phone rings.
It is one of the parents from the kids' elementary school.
School is cancelled.
The teachers, and the principal, who live in the "gush" (Gush Etzion), can't get into Jerusalem (THEY have snow!). And the hasa'ot (children's mini busses) aren't working.
I wonder why everyone realized this less than half an hour before school starts. But, no time to argue. (Besides, I don't believe in shooting the messenger)
I run to call Moshe.
"Where are you?" I ask, without bothering to say "hello."
"I just dropped the kids off and am heading home," came his response.
I drop the bomb: "School is cancelled," I inform my dear, sweet husband, knowing how frustrated he will feel driving around and back into the Old City.
Now to track down our kids...
It didn't take long. Some kids from their school were playing outside in the snow. MD & A went to their house and called Moshe.
With kids in the car, and on his way home, again, Moshe called to ask "What about Y?"
I called her school. No answer. I called her teacher. School is open, she answered officially. However, she continued, expecting me to read between the lines, "If most girls don't come, we won't be covering new material." I called Moshe.
"Y called some friends. They are not going to school," he told me.
"Great," I answered, "bring them all home."
"What about chemo?" Moshe ventured.
"I'll call the hospital..." I said, hanging up one phone and dialing on the other.
No snow-day for me.
(a special thanks to CV, who braved the snow to keep me company)
Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.
With love and optimism,
more observations from the USA (Chicago day 4-5)
13 hours ago